1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home cinema upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by maccakm, Jul 21, 2003.

1. maccakm

maccakm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

I'm on the verge of upgrading my hi fi cinema set up to home cinema.

Having read a few posts on here, it seems most would suggest keeping your current stereo set up, and adding either a processor or a receiver.

My kit at present is all Sony (with an ES quality hi-fi amp) apart from the speakers which are KEF Q series floorstanders, both of which I'd like to keep using.

The kit I'm looking at is the Sony STRDB1080 which has the necessary pre outputs that I believe are necessary. Is it simply a case of linking the preout on the AV receiver to a tape input in my stereo amp ?

What are peoples thoughts on retaining the stereo set up ? Any help much appreciated, especially if you agree that I should keep my stereo amp and KEF speakers !!

I'd like to keep my current amp and speakers for stereo use, would you

:laugh:

2. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Maccakm

Adding the Sony, it's pre-outs will mean that you have in effect two volume controls, one from your reciever and one from your amp.

Unfortunately, most current recievers/ processors are systems in their own right and dont integrate well into existing stereo set-ups. Adding a simple AV reciever usually resuslts in loads of cabling to try and switch one signal to one bit and something else to another.

The better way is to save further for a reciever / processor which has a good stereo reputation (not sure on the Sony). Connect this to your existing speaker system and sources. You can then upgrade to better power amplifiers / DVD player etc, etc.

Most bits of kit have a bypass function which allows for an analog pass through, if you have any sources that you find better than your processor, use these to by pass the recievers processing.

Lots of experimenting + lots of cables = a bit of a laugh.... :D

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,212
    I'd keep 'em in a different room personally but there you go. The STRDB1080 does have the required preouts for bolting the stereo amp on the front and it's not a difficult thing to do and it is done exactly as you describe. What's the power output of the stereo amp compared to the 1080, is it going to have to work harder than the AV receiver or are you going to have your fronts going proportionally louder? Adjusting the outputs can work to solve this but can't always eliminate it. For example, despite being from the same manufacturer, my two amps are quite chalk and cheese in their sound and output and a brief flirtation running them together was a no-no. Who needs a third bedroom anyway?
    Alternatively, why not sell the ES stereo amp and look into getting a 555ES which is pretty handy in stereo as well? One amp rather than two and minimal loss of stereo performance.
    Ed

4. maccakm

maccakm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice.

I think I'm going to play it safe.

I'm going to go for a mid range Sony Recevier - the strdb1080, together with either the KEF KHT 2005s or one of Sony's better Pascal offerings.

I'll keep my current stereo amp as it is excellent if a little old (TA-FA 30 ES), for stereo duties.

I plan to link it up to my multichannel receover so that I can utilise my KEF Q35s for home cinema use (when it's not late at night !).

Does this sound like a feasible plan to anyone ?

Cheers.

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony make a better Pascal offering???

From my experience ALL of those speakers are horrid.

Stick with the Kefs which impressed me mightily...

And just about everybody else.

6. maccakm

maccakm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, have just been having a chat with someone about the pascal speakers, they don't recommend any of them, so have binned that idea !

As I have fairly meaty Q35s as my stereo speakers, I've been advised not to for the KEF eggs, which is a shame as they are the sort of size I'm after.

Would anyone recommend using a surround package of 5 speakers plugged into my av reciever AND using my stereo amp (linked to av receiver) to power my Q35s. This would mean I would have 7 speakers, with two sets of front speakers.

7. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for the Kefs

The Pascals are donkey poo compared to other kit.

8. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I was the lucky owner of some Pascals :suicide: ...... stay well away!

9. /\/\j17

/\/\j17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure why everyone is making this sound so hard - it's very straight forward and I've not met anyone who had any problems.

Plug multi-channel sources (DVD, SACD, DVDA, etc) into the AV amp.
    Plug stereo sources (CD, Tape, Tuner) into AV amp (if you want to use DPLII for stereo) or into Stereo amp (if you want best sound).

Now just run a set of quality interconnects (I use DMN Reson's without problem) from the AV amps pre-out to a spare input on the Stereo amp. You don't say what you have, but most these days actually have dedicated AV inputs.

To listen to your CD's, shove 'em in the player, set the volume quite low and the Stereo amps input selector to CD.

To listen to your DVD's, set the Stereo amps input selector to AV (or whatever you have it plugged into), stereo amps volume to 12 o'clock (or half way through the volume range). Put the DVD in the player and control the system volume from the AV amp.

This will be fine, won't over-stress either amp and won't un-balance the sound (provided you set up the speaker volumes/delays on the AV amp with the kit in this configuration).

/\/\j17

10. maccakm

maccakm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that's a great help and has answered many questions.

I've just bought the STRDB1080 sony AV amp,which seems like an excellent buy for £350.

Now I just need to get a set of speakers of the non bulky kind !