Question Home cinema upgrade.

mukulgoel1989

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I do not understand the sound systems much and seeking opinion here.

I currently have a Yamaha YHT 2910 5.1 home theater system.
I have had it for 4 years and thinking about upgrading it piece by piece.

First YHT 2910 specs can be found at YHT-2910 - Overview - Yamaha - Other European Countries

I am first thinking about upgrading the receiver and then gradually upgrade the speaker and subwoofer as well.

I am currently looking at Denon AVR-X3600H

That is basically based on searching the web and looking at reviews.

First question is would this receiver be able to drive the speaker and subwoofer that I currently have which came with YHT2910 and produce if not better similar sound as my current setup.

Hi,

First YHT 2910 specs can be found at YHT-2910 - Overview - Yamaha - Other European Countries

I am first thinking about upgrading the receiver and then gradually upgrade the speaker and subwoofer as well.

First question is would this receiver be able to drive the speaker and subwoofer that I currently have which came with YHT2910 and produce if not better similar sound as my current setup.
My guess is you'll get a better first improvement by replacing the speakers first.

Thanks. I actually thought about that as well but with my limited understanding I was not sure that my current av receiver will be able to drive new higher wattage speakers because ultimately I would want to upgrade the receiver as well for a 7.1 setup.

What do you think? If still same, recommendations for speaker upgrade ? And what order to go about . I.e L,R / Center/sub/surround?

Wattage isn’t everything. Look at the sensitivity of the current speakers then match it fairly closely and you should be ok.
I’d replace fronts then centre then sub then surrounds.

Thanks.
This is actually where I was coming from. If I match the new speakers to the current receiver in terms of wattage and sensitivity, I do not want to be running mediocre speakers when I upgrade the receiver itself to something much newer and powerful like that denon i mentioned in original post.
Does that sound logical? I am just totally new to this so I am not sure if that logic applies. I was just going by my common sense that of I get speakers matching current receiver then they might not be the best speakers for the buck I could get with an updated receiver.

To give more perspective, my upgrade timeline for everything is 3-4 months max.

Could you please advise. Also how can I check sensitivity on current speakers? Is that information in the link I posted to yht-2910 in OP.
Thanks

Hi,

Forget the speaker wattages. If you listen normal moderate levels then you don`t need to worry much at this point. The Yamaha while being very cheap will run most speakers if you don`t go too crazy with volume (heats up, protection shuts it off).

As you have had some small system before i need to ask what kind of room / room order you have? Is the tv at middle of wall or in corner, is the couch directly opposite to tv, how large room, how far you sit? If you have floorplan post it here.

Forget the speaker wattages. If you listen normal moderate levels then you don`t need to worry much at this point. The Yamaha while being very cheap will run most speakers if you don`t go too crazy with volume (heats up, protection shuts it off).

As you have had some small system before i need to ask what kind of room / room order you have? Is the tv at middle of wall or in corner, is the couch directly opposite to tv, how large room, how far you sit? If you have floorplan post it here.

So the TV is at middle and seating is directly in front.
Its a medium sized living+dining room with dimensions 7.3*3.8 m
The seating position is 2.85m from the tv.

Current setup is a 5.1 system.

So the TV is at middle and seating is directly in front.
Its a medium sized living+dining room with dimensions 7.3*3.8 m
The seating position is 2.85m from the tv.

Current setup is a 5.1 system.

Sounds fine. To give you idea this is how it would look if you would go by textbook, check the picture in the link and the angles. What you don`t want is to have the surround channels "rears" too close to listeners or in front of couch/listeners. For many people they give bit of grey hairs where to place them. Main speakers L/R should be placed on speaker stands about 2-2,5meter apart from each other. The speaker stands (~70£/pair) will allow you to move and angle them plus they will be at correct height.

Do you have budget in mind what you can spend total for 5.1 and how much for the main speakers now?

You live in Ireland?

Last edited:
Sounds fine. To give you idea this is how it would look if you would go by textbook, check the picture in the link and the angles. What you don`t want is to have the surround channels "rears" too close to listeners or in front of couch/listeners. For many people they give bit of grey hairs where to place them. Main speakers L/R should be placed on speaker stands about 2-2,5meter apart from each other. The speaker stands (~70£/pair) will allow you to move and angle them plus they will be at correct height.

Do you have budget in mind what you can spend total for 5.1 and how much for the main speakers now?

You live in Ireland?

Thanks for the suggestions on placement.

Budget Maximum around 2k for Front, left, center, sub speakers and yes m in Ireland.

Thanks for the suggestions on placement.

Budget Maximum around 2k for Front, left, center, sub speakers and yes m in Ireland.

Ok so 2k£ for speakers and sub without receiver.

I have heard from members that in Ireland you are basically leaning toward RS mostly. But they have good amount of different brands and should give you the option to listen few and compare which is very important. You should write a list models that intrest you and then call book demo time and ask that you can listen them. Some members have got 4 pairs of speakers to listen and the sales guy will swap the cables then to help you find the speakers you like best.

I would say look Dali Oberon, Monitor Audio Silver, B&W 600, KEF Q serie for starters. Will link few main speakers so you get some idea. There is more finishes to choose from so make sure you check those too as the speakers will need to look good too.

Purely for movie use in mind Monitor Audio and KEF has the best center channels from these, but also largest physically (C350 and Q650c). Both brands has also smaller ones (C150 and Q250c), but word of advice it´s one of the most active speakers in your system and the usual recommendation would be to pick the best, but example if you can´t wall mount tv it could be tricky to fit large one and not everyone wants something massive which is understandable. Important is you get the placement correct, preferably not inside av-cabinet and definitely not too low!

For subwoofer assuming you can budget close to 500£ mark for it, BK Monolith would be unbeatable and spot on for the size of room you got. Only issue i can see would be again the size. There is forward firing and down firing options, they differ in dimensions so compare those. If some of the finishes don`t show at bottom you can click to Monolith Plus as they have same finishes. Oh and click those tiny pictures at bottom of space so you get to see it from different angles. If it´s too large then we need to consider something else.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom