1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Cinema upgrade

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Spartacus, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Spartacus

Spartacus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Firstly, as this is my first post (but not view), of this forum- Hello! I have been a "lurker" for a few weeks now, and managed to pick up a great deal of good advice.

Ok, down to the question. I currently have a JBL ESC 200 surround system that I bought, 6 or 7 years ago. Been very happy with it, but it is time for an upgrade:

1. Recently started to "crackle" a bit with some crossover from "other" input.
    2. It is not up to listening to music on.
    3. I guess it is er, "old" :)

That said, fantastic difference it made to my film viewing so can't fault it.

Ok firstly can I say that I am a bit of a novice at this game. I know what I like in terms of sound, but haven't a clue about any technical specifications etc etc.

To give you an idea, the best sound I have heard from speakers were JBL Monitor speakers. I loved them as they were punchy, and the sound was clean and detailed. In fact I liked this sound more than my friends Castle speakers (which I believe he paid a lot of money for). If this makes me a philistine, then I apologise, I am just trying to explain what type of sound I enjoy.

Onto what I would want from the new speakers. Well 85% of the time they would be used for home cinema, 15% for music. Music is important, but would be secondary. Budget- well again a tricky one. I would consider £500 for speakers to be reasonably expensive, but not unreasonable, for what I use them for, whilst I would be prepared to pay more for a higher quality setup, I would need convincing that the extra was worth it.

Btw in terms of an amplifier, I would be thinking say £250 - I notice Richer sounds have a Marantz 4400 for £200 and the Yamaha 640 for £250. I would probably favour the Marantz as the previous Amplifier I bought off them was bulletproof, but again willing to listen to advice.

At the moment the Mordaunt Short Premier Plus seems to be the front runner at £450. I have read good reviews of the Genies, but are they really worth almost twice as much?

In terms of room size, well the room is quite large at 17' by 14', but the TV "space" is about half that (if that makes sense).

Any help much appreciated.