1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home cinema upgrade advice please -my current kit and what to get next?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Syphon, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Syphon

Syphon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

My current kit has done me well (for about 5 years) and I'm looking to upgrade as we will soon be redecorating the living room and adding a conservatory.

Current kit is as follows:

- Sherwood RD 6106R Amp
    - 5 Schneider surround speakers - floorstanders, center and sats (no sub - asda specials some while back)
    - Toshiba SD-3109 DVD (twin deck - has come in quite handy!)
    - Toshiba 28" CRT
    - Gale Hyper-Latz 250 speaker cable

New kit - ideas, thoughts and questions:

- Speakers: I've pretty much decided on Canton CD101's from the power buy for my speakers with 2 pairs of LS90 stands - total: £404
    - Amp: I was thinking about the Denon AVR-1906 - £269 however I was thinking of waiting unti HDMI is more common and intergrated in amps at this price - I also heard of some new Hi def audio standard? Worth waiting?
    - DVD player: Not looking at these really at the moment until HD-DVD and Blueray players are established
    - TV: Waiting until some time next year until "true" high def is mainstream in the £1500 budget range - in no rush for one at the mo
    - Cabling:Got some reasonable interconnects at the moment, but wondering if it is worth upgrading my Gale Hyper-latz 250 cabling all round for the canton speakers? Not sure of the quality of this cable I'm using at the moment (don't remember it being too cheap - got it from Richer Sounds).

I want to be as future proof as possible, but I appreciate - "there will always be something new around the corner". Am I doing this upgrade the right way - speakers first?

People's advice, thoughts, experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Syphon

Syphon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My other option is to get a Sony DAV-DZ700 or the Denon DHT-550 SD package, but then when I want to upgrade the amp and the DVD player won't I have compromised on speakers and wasted money?

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Syphon, i think that you would be better asking the specific questions on the relevant forums on this site. You will get some speedy and informative responses, alternatively let search be your friend :)

4. Syphon

Syphon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks. I was in a bit of a dilema was to where to post as I thought it was more of a "which order should I go for" type of thing as it covered all my kit. didn't want to spam with loads of threads. ;)

I'll get busy later. Have done a lot of searching as well. :)