Home cinema UHD compliant receiver

jontygee

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I currently have the following set up at home:

SkyQ 2tb with Ultra HD
PS4
My TV is a Samsung UE40M/U6400. On the back of it, it has a Digital Audio out (optical) port, 2 HDMI ins (1 & 2) and an HDMI in 3 (ARC).

The Blu-ray is a Samsung AH64-05291B. It is a one box system.On the back it has a Digital Audio In, 2 HDMI ins and 1 HDMI out.

I have a subwoofer, a front speaker, left and right speakers and 2 rear speakers.

all works fine. I have my Sky and PS4 connected via HDMI into the blu-ray receiver. The only issue i have is that I cannot watch any programmes in Ultra HD and being a big sports fan that is quite key to me.

So i am wanting advice on what kind of Blu-ray player or surround sound receiver that I need to buy. I am really hoping that whatever I buy then i could re-use the existing subwoofer and existing speakers as i have run all those wires under the floor and don't fancy doing that again, and the subwoofer is quite narrow so fits nicely in the front room and isn't intrusive.

So any help and advice would be gratefully received. i really don't want a soundbar, i would prefer the full surround sound experience.

Many thanks

John

You don't need uhd avr. Connect sky and ps4 directly to your tv and use optical cable from tv to samsung bd player.

Hi, thanks, sorry I should have said, I have tried using an optical as you said but it just doesn't work, all it does it make the same sound come out of every speaker, so it's very echoey rather than true surround sound

Thanks

Hi, thanks, sorry I should have said, I have tried using an optical as you said but it just doesn't work, all it does it make the same sound come out of every speaker, so it's very echoey rather than true surround sound

Thanks
Have you configured the TV to output Dolby Digital via SPDIF? Even with a stereo signal from the TV should be upmixed via the modes available to you on your receiver. 5.1 broadcasts should be fine but remember that not every programme has a 5.1 native soundtrack and ITV only broadcasts in stereo. BBC is sketchy with what programmes are 5.1 as well.

Hi, yep it's set to DD, but there is nothing called SPDIF that I can see. If I use an optical cable, then I cannot toggle between the different settings on the Bluray player for some reason , e.g. it has movie mode, music mode, matrix mode. It just sticks on the made that has the same sound coming out of all speakers.

Tbh I am not too fussed if I have to upgrade the bluray player itself to an ultra he compliant one, but I just really want to know if existing wiring to subwoofer and speakers will be compatible

Thanks

I've looked online and it seems you have the surround sound combined within the body of the player itself. Replacing it with another player you would still need to have surround sound processing. How are proposing to proceed?

Hi, apologies i am not very tekkie, i just thought I could buy a similar model to the one I have, just one that is UHD compliant. isn't that possible?

As it's an all-in-one system you would have to get a similar unit that has the amp and processor in the same body. As far as I can see there are very few, if any, types of packages that you would need. I've tried to find an online manual for your player combination but have failed to do so.

Even if you went with an AV amp you would still need a player and even then the speakers you are currently using may not be connectable because of low ohm loadings (under 4 ohms). So it does sound as though you're back to square one.

If the amp side of your set is still working then it is still possible to connect a 4K blu ray player to it by optical. This would restrict you're audio to SD formats of Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS.

You have asked a similar question previously and the advice is the same really.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom