TheDarkKnight01

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My current setup is as follows:

• Hisense 75" 75B7510UK TV
  • Yamaha YHT-1840 AV Receiver (with speakers, sub, 5.1 Surround)
  • Xbox One X
  • Sky Q
  • I sit around 7-8ft back from the TV, straight on

The main use the TV gets is:

• Playing Xbox (FIFA mainly, some Call of Duty) - I would look at getting more games when going to the Xbox Series X
  • Watching Blu Ray discs / 4K discs
  • Watching Blu Rays / 4K's from my Plex
  • Watching Football (4K on SkyQ)
  • Watch the occasional TV, mainly HD and sometimes (rarely, only if I have to) SD

Features I am not interested in:

• 3D
  • Smart TV Features (I would use the Xbox as the smart function)
  • Speakers (as I have the surround system)

I will potentially have to replace my TV, as it has on a few ocassions, powered off with the only way to power back on by turning the mains plug off and back on. So I will either be getting an exchange, or refund.

I am also looking to buy the Xbox Series X, which has opened up the subject of HDMI 2.1 and I have some questions:

I currently have my Sky Q and Xbox One X going into my AV Receiver, which then goes to my TV.

If/When I get the Xbox Series X, does this mean my TV AND AV RECEIVER would need to be HDMI 2.1 compatible? Or would I just plug my Xbox Series X into the HDMI 2.1 port on a new TV and then have my AV Receiver plugged into the Arc HDMI slot?

If I did the above, would it then be possible to select my speaker option? Basically having HDMI 2.1 into the TV from the Xbox, and HDMI into the TV from the AV Receiver?

Or would the AV Receiver need to be connected another way?

Basically, I guess in short, I am asking that if I get the Xbox Series X, will I have to upgrade my AV Receiver to a HDMI 2.1 compatible one along with the TV, or can I just upgrade the TV and then still use my current AV Receiver? If so, how would I need the setup to look with the TV, my Xbox Series X, Sky Q box and AV Receiver?

I hear great things about OLED and as I understand it, John Lewis now offer Screen Burn Warranty? Is that correct?

That would open me up to consider an OLED, but not at a 77", as that is out of my budget unfortunately. So I would consider either a smaller size OLED or a 75" LCD.

What would you recommend at the 75" size, which is HDMI 2.1 compatible, that would suit my setup as detailed above? And what would you recommend in terms of an OLED?

I would say a budget ideally around £1,000 - Could be tempted to stretch that for the right TV if needed.

You are pushing it to get a good HDR TV at 65" with your budget, and that is without HDMI 2.1 features. I wouldn't personally want to go for less than the Samsung 65Q80T if HDMI 2.1 is important, although the Sony 65XH9505 is better value.

If those are out of reach the next best is the Hisense U8Q.

All are in the guide here: My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

To answer your question, if you do go for a TV with HDMI 2.1 like the Samsung 65Q80T then you will connect each device directly to the TV and use ARC to return the audio back to your AVR. If your AVR does not have eARC, that will mean you'll get non-HD audio, and standard 5.1.

You are pushing it to get a good HDR TV at 65" with your budget, and that is without HDMI 2.1 features. I wouldn't personally want to go for less than the Samsung 65Q80T if HDMI 2.1 is important, although the Sony 65XH9505 is better value.

If those are out of reach the next best is the Hisense U8Q.

All are in the guide here: My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

To answer your question, if you do go for a TV with HDMI 2.1 like the Samsung 65Q80T then you will connect each device directly to the TV and use ARC to return the audio back to your AVR. If your AVR does not have eARC, that will mean you'll get non-HD audio, and standard 5.1.

Given the Samsung 65Q80T is £1,500, would it not be better to go for the LG OLED 65BX at £1,600?

I just checked the Hisense U8Q and it says it only has HDMI 2.0 on your guide, is that right?

I’ll have to check whether my receiver has eArc and come back to you.

Given the Samsung 65Q80T is £1,500, would it not be better to go for the LG OLED 65BX at £1,600?
Yes, the BX is a better bet all round for certain.
I just checked the Hisense U8Q and it says it only has HDMI 2.0 on your guide, is that right?
Yep, but its an option if you want to strictly stick to your budget.

I've tried looking at all the specs for my AV Receiver and I cannot tell whether or not it has eArc.

That said, it only provides 4K / 60p (I am presuming the 60p is FPS?)

So does that mean I would need to upgrade that anyway to get the eventual 4K 120 FPS?

Yes, the BX is a better bet all round for certain.

Another option I have is going for the 55" OLED which is around £1,000.

That said, I currently have a 75" so I am now worried that the 55" would feel tiny given how used to the 75" I am now :(

Then their is Quantum Dot OLED and MicroLED..

It's basically one big rabbit hole!

I'm not sure what to do :(

I've replied above, but could not delete this entry. Please remove this entry if you like mods.

As a side note @Dodgexander I saw on your guide the following 75" TV's:

• Samsung 75TU7100
  • Hisense 75A7100
  • Sony 75XH8096

I spoke with AO, and if it cannot be repaired (not sure how Hisense are going to define that, given it is temperamental), then AO can offer a full refund or exchange.

If an exchange is an option, would any of the 3 above be better than I have now and would any of them be worth exchanging for? Given the above?

You're in a bit of a predicament with your budget, you definitely won't be able to get a capable HDR TV if you are looking at 75" models, and even at 65" with a limited budget you won't find good HDR TVs with HDMI 2.1 features. The best compromise would be the 65" Hisense U8Q. Don't get lost in useless marketing phrases like quantum dot or mini led, what matters is how the TV performs. You should first understand the differences between a low tier and high tier TV in my guide, then you'll be able to best judge what to do.

If you were happy with the picture quality of your previous TV then getting another low tier model won't be a disappointment but if you are intending to use the TV for HDR, or next gen gaming features then it will be.

Perhaps if you don't care so much about HDR, but you want next gen gaming features you could consider a TV like LGs Nano 85 or 86 or the Samsung Q70T.

You're in a bit of a predicament with your budget, you definitely won't be able to get a capable HDR TV if you are looking at 75" models, and even at 65" with a limited budget you won't find good HDR TVs with HDMI 2.1 features. The best compromise would be the 65" Hisense U8Q. Don't get lost in useless marketing phrases like quantum dot or mini led, what matters is how the TV performs. You should first understand the differences between a low tier and high tier TV in my guide, then you'll be able to best judge what to do.

If you were happy with the picture quality of your previous TV then getting another low tier model won't be a disappointment but if you are intending to use the TV for HDR, or next gen gaming features then it will be.

Perhaps if you don't care so much about HDR, but you want next gen gaming features you could consider a TV like LGs Nano 85 or 86 or the Samsung Q70T.

Yeah I realise for my budget I just cannot get that level of features.

Now I have had a 75", ideally I don't really want to go down a size, the only thing that would tempt me with that would be if I were to go down the OLED route, but then it looks like I'd have to go to a 55" to be in budget.

There is obviously the 65" OLED (at £1,600), but that is still 10" smaller than what I have now and I just worry now that I have had the 75", that the 65" will look small.

I think for now I am going to hold off from buying the Xbox Series X, as the Xbox One X is more than good enough for me personally at the moment, especially given there are basically no games, and the ones that do have bugs, and VRR is a bit of a mess right now.

Basically I have to decide whether I want to downsize to an OLED or get a 75".

One thing I do find, is anything in HD doesn't look "amazing" on my current TV.

Would the Sony 75XH8096 improve the lower resolution look compared to what I currently have? If so, and I was getting an exchange on this TV, would that move be worth it?

Or would you say it would be better to go either down the downsizing route to an OLED or one of the Samsung 75TU7100 or Hisense 75A7100?

The Hisense A series is just the new version of your TV, I'd be surprised if you notice any difference at all.

You may find upscaling is better on the Samsung or Sony, but there won't be much in it. You'll also have to make sure that the TV is doing the upscaling rather than the source device. For example, if you send the TV HD and the TV shows that HD is the resolution it receives then the TV then upscales. However if you are sending the TV a 4k signal (for example, from your Xbox) and you are watching HD content then the Xbox is doing the scaling and the TV won't make any difference.

There won't be much between the upscaling of all, but because Sony and Samsung have been in the business longer than Hisense you may find their software upscales a little better.

A much better solution for upscaling would be to use a HTPC with MadVR, or an Nvidia shield 4k or similar.

Regarding gaming, I wouldn't worry so much about being stuck at 60hz. Even with the new consoles. What I would perhaps consider is getting a capable HDR TV, so you can at least get a quality boost from that. At very least that would mean the Sony XH9005, but preferably the Sony XH9505 or Hisense U8Q.

The Hisense A series is just the new version of your TV, I'd be surprised if you notice any difference at all.

You may find upscaling is better on the Samsung or Sony, but there won't be much in it. You'll also have to make sure that the TV is doing the upscaling rather than the source device. For example, if you send the TV HD and the TV shows that HD is the resolution it receives then the TV then upscales. However if you are sending the TV a 4k signal (for example, from your Xbox) and you are watching HD content then the Xbox is doing the scaling and the TV won't make any difference.

There won't be much between the upscaling of all, but because Sony and Samsung have been in the business longer than Hisense you may find their software upscales a little better.

A much better solution for upscaling would be to use a HTPC with MadVR, or an Nvidia shield 4k or similar.

Regarding gaming, I wouldn't worry so much about being stuck at 60hz. Even with the new consoles. What I would perhaps consider is getting a capable HDR TV, so you can at least get a quality boost from that. At very least that would mean the Sony XH9005, but preferably the Sony XH9505 or Hisense U8Q.

I see, thank you for your help.

At the moment, given my budget, I think I will be best of getting it exchanged for something similar, and then look to get an OLED in the future when they are hopefully at a more affordable price. Or when a 75" LCD with HDMI 2.1 and HDR comes down to around the £1,000 (If it ever does)!

For now, AO are offering an exchange and I need to decide which one to choose.

Narrowed it down to the following:

• Sony 75XH8096
  • Samsung 75TU7100
  • Hisense 75A7100

Out of curioisity, I tried researching, but could not find the info, of those 3 TV's above, are they all 8 bit panels? Or are any of them 10 bit?

I'd say my main priority is how films look on them.

I paid £900 for my original TV so if I were to go with the Sony I'd have to pay £209 more. The Samsung I'd have to pay £50 more and the Hisense would be a straight swap.

With all of that in mind, which one would you recommend I go for?

Last edited:
It will be hard to find the known bit depth on those TVs, but it doesn't really matter. It's not important when there are TVs that have 8 bit panels which already perform very good with color gradations. More bits is commonly mistaken for more colours, but that isn't the case. It just means there may be a smoother transition from one colour to the next. In some circumstances there are 8 bit panels that do this better than 10 bit, and to most people its not even noticeable.
In other words, don't worry about it, its not something to even think about, especially when each TV is not suited for HDR use.

Each of those TVs will be similar to each other, and similar to your old TV. If you wanted a change I'd probably give the Sony a go rather than the Samsung. You may find its motion is better. Otherwise I'd stick with another Hisense.

It will be hard to find the known bit depth on those TVs, but it doesn't really matter. It's not important when there are TVs that have 8 bit panels which already perform very good with color gradations. More bits is commonly mistaken for more colours, but that isn't the case. It just means there may be a smoother transition from one colour to the next. In some circumstances there are 8 bit panels that do this better than 10 bit, and to most people its not even noticeable.
In other words, don't worry about it, its not something to even think about, especially when each TV is not suited for HDR use.

Each of those TVs will be similar to each other, and similar to your old TV. If you wanted a change I'd probably give the Sony a go rather than the Samsung. You may find its motion is better. Otherwise I'd stick with another Hisense.

Thanks.

I read a few reviews on the Sony which were quite critical for movie viewing on them. One review gave it a 5.4 out of 10 for "movies"!

I wondered whether it changed depending on which country the TV is sold in but couldn't tell from the review what country TV it was reviewing or whether they are all the same regardless of which country they're produced in.

The movie watching thing will be down to the TV using an IPS panel.
First choice when buying is narrowing down which panel type you want.

Hisense definitely use VA. The Samsung should be VA, but not 100%. The Sony IPS.

They have different strengths and weaknesses.

The movie watching thing will be down to the TV using an IPS panel.
First choice when buying is narrowing down which panel type you want.

Hisense definitely use VA. The Samsung should be VA, but not 100%. The Sony IPS.

They have different strengths and weaknesses.

Ah I see. I think that solidifies me going for the Hisense then, as I face straight on to the TV.

Now I have the headache on whether to go for the 75" Hisense, or downsize to a 55" or 65" OLED!

Well you could consider the Samsung too, its supposed to have a VA panel, but I'm just not 100% because they play games with different panels.

Ironically last years Sony 75XG8096 (G being 2019 model) did use a VA panel. So if sources online are correct they changed it to IPS this year. If you can get a refund and get that TV instead you'll get a Sony + VA panel.

Only place I can see it is here:

If you could go up to 85" the Sony 85XH8096 is using a VA panel. But its a lot more expensive.

Haven’t ever dealt with Hughes so don’t know anything about their customer support. I’ve got to say, all througout this, AO have been first class in terms of support and dealing with the situation. Would highly recommend them to anyone if they were hesitant to go with them or not.

I probably could go to an 85” in terms of size / space, but not at that budget.

Which is probably just as well, because I’m having a hard enough time trying to decide between a 75” LCD, or a 55/65 OLED!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom