1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Cinema System with TV Tuner

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by elysium, Oct 19, 2002.

1. elysium

elysium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I don't know if there is a better place to post this but please excuse if there is.

I am thinking of buying a "home cinema in a box" to go onto a 42" plasma panel (a non current panasonic model) but would like some opinions/advice.
    The plasma panel doesn't come with a TV Tuner so what would be the best quality option for a fairly low price (~£100)? Would a progressive scan analogue tuner or a Free to Air digital tuner be better (Can't get Sky and NTL are a pain in the arse).

Secondly, I have seen several cinema in a box solutions that are within my budget which are the Panasonic S, Pioneer DCS-303 and Sony SAV-550. The panasonic and pioneer are slightly cheaper and have had great reviews in magazines I have read but would connect via RGB Scart or S Video whereas the Sony has had not such good reviews but connects via Component video. Has anyone got any opinions as to what is best or if there is something better than I have already mentioned I would be grateful to hear of it.

Also, there isn't such a thing as a DVD player, FM/AM tuner and Tv tuner in one device is there?

Thanks

James

2. elysium

elysium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, i forgot to fill in the panasonic model number. its a Panasonic SCDT300MR (or 100 which is slightly less)

Thanks

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony also has great reviews, it's even product of the year in What Hi-Fi.

But, I think you've read about subtitles problems.
    Once Sony fix that, there will be no complaints to davs550.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    get yourself a free to air DTT box for the best output in proper widescreen. Depending on what inputs your plasma has, you might want a DTT box with s-video output (some of the new ones specifically for free to air have them I think)