Home Cinema System with Sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Spud205, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Spud205

Spud205

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I'm looking to add a home cinema system with my Sony Nicam Tv.
    Will I be able to buy a system that will take advantage of Sky's surround sound on movie broadcasts ?
    All the reviews seem to be testing the DVD player that comes with the system , no mention of actually playing Tv sound through them.
    Any Recommendations for a budget system ?
    Cheers

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spud, as long as the TV has seperate L/R Audio Out you should be able to pipe the TV audio to your Home Cinema System. Check the back of the TV.

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The general feeling (especially from me) is that the all-in-one home cinema packages are poor value for money and lacking in at least one area, depending on the make.

The most common things missing are scart sockets (so no auto widescreen switching or RGB), poor connectivity options (so if passing the audio via the tv isn't possible, you may not have enough inputs for all your sources). Also, if one part goes wrong you can lose the whole lot and there is no upgrade path.

You can buy seperates for around the same price which would not suffer the above.

Only Sky+ will output Dolby Digital. For standard boxes you get dolby prologic which will be fine as Jenz mentions. DPL is also used on many of the other channels.