1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home cinema system for 32TXPD30?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mike25, Aug 9, 2003.

1. mike25

mike25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I'm new to forum and new to AV systems.
    Just bought a Panny 32 PD30 and Panny NVV30EBS DVD-combi.
    The sound from Tv is OK but heard this Tv needs a decent surround sound than viutual or NICAM.

Since I've bought a Combi DVD/VHS what are my options for a home cinema kit?

Been thinking about Sony Dav550 or Panny home cinema. Already spent 1500 on both items so budget around 250-300 quid?

Any help appreciated guys,

Mike

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Firstly welcome to the forum:D

All in one systems are ok for movie sound and get the job done for a limited budget but I would recomend building a seperates system bit by bit as funds become available. I started with a videologic DTS all in one system a few years back but soon got frustrated with it's limitations and had to start from scratch since all in one systems offer no upgrade path.
    I'd recomend you first listen to some budget av amps something along the lines of :-

http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=206385-ES

for £180 this gives you all the connectivity you shall need and offers all of the new sound formats you'll be needing (DD 5.1, DTS and prologic II). It's an excellent amp, had very good reviews and very hard to beat for the money imo.
    Next you'll be needing some speakers. First up would be your front left and righ channels. If you've a small room i'd suggest bookshelf/standmounts or Floor standers for larger areas.
    A good budget standmount speaker is the Mission M71 which Rs where doing a special on for £60 the pair recently or the M73i floorstanders would fit the bill for a larger room. Next you'd require a center and surrounds and finally a subwoofer for lower end duties.
    You can buy gradually over a period of time and this will give you the chance to do some research and learn as you go.You can build a vastly superior system to an all in one system for not too much more money.

3. mike25

mike25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Hawklord for ur advice.
    Being a newbie I'm a novice to the connection thing.

The reviews state the Sony DAv550 is a doddle to setup.
    The only -ve to buying that is that I'll be buying another DVD setup when the panny dvd/combi is higher spec than the sony Dav550. Would my combi become redundant?

If i went the separates route.....then I'd have to wait until I had all 5.1 speaker setup until i could enjoy proper surround.....The PD30 itself offers a sound thats not bad, would a buget amplifier and a not complete speaker setup be better.
    I have the Pd30 in the corner with space for floor speakers, the lounge is rectangular 5m by 3.75m. I'd have an issue finding a place to but rear speakers (they'd have to be behind suite I guess).

How much would a separates thing cost compared to DAV550 which is around £249 at the moment?

Could I use my DVD combi as the decoding device and just hook up a speaker system up to that. It has an optical out for DD5.1 using a toslink connection?

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    The dav has an in built dvd as you mention and would make your dvd in the combie redundant unfortunately. My brother has the dav and imo it's not that good. (I am used to a very much better sound though but to your ears may suffice).
    If you did go the seperates route like you say you'll not benefit from complete surround sound initially on the budget you currently have. You'd start with an av amp, Front left and right and possiby a centre for your budget of £300. For about £130 you can pick up some rear surround speakers:-

http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0-dyQE1WOrDk&vp=6&bg=216&bp=7db&bi=0

you'd finally need a subwoofer- I'd generally not advise spending less than £200 for a sub . the velodyne vx-10 is meant to be a good buy for £199 in the powerbuys section.
    You will not have the full effect of surround sound initially but the components you'll start with will blow the dav away imo.
    If you do want the full experience then some retailers do some all in ones that don't include an integrated dvd player. (Therefore you'll not have wasted your money on the combie and will only be paying for the audio side of things).

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Connetivity wise - you'll learn that as you go and if you get stuck you can all ways get help and advice on theses forums.

ohh and another reason to go the seperates route is that stereo repro is terrible on all in one's they tend to be designed purely for surround sound imo and don't compete with a larger bookshelf/floorstander speaker.

6. mike25

mike25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks M8 for your advice.
    I would go with the separates route if I can convince myself that the extra sound quality was worth the xtra premium.
    I was looking for a TV which has DD5.1 but bought PD30 rather than PS5 which has DD5.1 since the former has better picture resolution. So for an extra 600 quid the picture\good looks was a price i was willing to pay for. Now for the sound part. ....If a good quality system could provide good sound for movietracks then that is sufficient for my needs. I don't intend to do any recording although i will hook up a minidisc player for recording DD for my car minidisc player.

My only use of the home cinema would be movies since I play minidiscs most of the time.

What would make a good home cinema sytem which doesn't have a DVD player...just amp/speakers setup...preferably a sony/panasonic/yamaha type. I guess if the price differential for one with or without DVD is no much I'd go for one with. Would i'd still be able to use Panny DVD for TV bypassing integrated one?

Thanks for ur help.

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    If you want something that will do your video side of things justice then I'd definately go for the seperates route. A really good start would be as before amp £180:-
    http://www.richersounds.com/index.p...php&p=206385-ES

with this package of speakers £250:-

http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0-dClR0vRtTO&vp=6&bg=216&bp=cin71b&bi=0

I know it's more than the £300 you were going to spend but this this would see any all in one the door with regard to doing justice to movies and the like.
    If you must go for a cheaper all in one then something like this fits you budget:-
    http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0-dClR0vRtTO&vp=6&bg=225&bp=750s&bi=0

or http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetails/SON-HTP3100.htm

or

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetails/PUR-PLATINUM.htm

I would suggest you get yourself off to a local hifi dealer (like audio-t , sevenoaks and the like)and listen to some all in one packages and some budget seperate systems. You'd be able to decide which suits your needs best and whether the sperates route is worth the extra out lay.

good hunting:smashin:

8. mike25

mike25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks M8, I'll try to hear the diff myself to see if its worth the extra outlay.

Is Comet, Dixons worth a visit. Not sure if we have a audio-t , sevenoaks near yorkshire.

9. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
  10. madjo

madjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got this on order, just waiting for the finance to be sorted.
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetails/YAM-HTIB45.htm
    I used to have an all in one philips dvd hifi, it was ok, but I'm hoping this will be much better.
    I've been told that the speakers aren't the best but there's always the option of upgrading later .
    I think you should go for seperates, but that's just my opinion

:)

11. mike25

mike25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The price seems cool madjo,

Is that an all in one? Yamaha sounds like a good name.
    The Yamaha RXV430RDS is good but i think the 440 is out now too which has just won the EISA award.

Would the Yamaha HTIB45 be any good Hawklord M8?

Madjo dude..if u think i should go for separates why have u ordered the all in one M8. I mean if i could upgrade like u thats Ok with me too.

12. madjo

madjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not an all in one, it's a receiver and speaker package , you just need to connect a dvd to it ::D

13. mike25

mike25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then thats just what i need for my TV.
    I've bought the DVD\combi and i'm trying to buy a sound system but most all inones have a dvd incl.

I'd rather go for separates. if this is a stand alone with good sound quality then it might be Ok for that price.
    How are u finding it madjo...has it arrived yet any comments on sound quality?

14. madjo

madjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually cancelled the order, Empire direct are advertising it as in stock when it isn't and the woman on the other end of the phone wasn't very helpful at all and said she didn't know when they would be getting any more in so I cancelled.

I'm getting this one instead on special order from unbeatable

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_13494.html

The specs for it are here
    http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/avpackage/htibs/av package 25/

It seems to be a new model, haven't found any reviews on it yet.
    Hopefully it should arrive within ten days.....can't wait!!

15. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    That looks a good starter package. It gives you the option to upgrade your speakers in the future if you wish which is a good thing. The amp offers six channel input so if you wish to add a dvd-a or sacd player later you can. It appears to have all the recent sound formatts including prologicII. 65 watts per channel will be enough to fill a small to medium sized room with sound.

hope you enjoy it mate.

16. mike25

mike25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let us know how it sounds...U might have persuaded me to go for it . Thanks for the links M8

Thanks Hawklord for the advice too ....much appreciated.