Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Home Cinema Surround Sound Package?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Longhorn, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Longhorn

Longhorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally new to the surround sound thing but with a budget of £500 what system would be a good starting kit with speakers, amp and all?

Any help appreciated

Ian J :suicide:

2. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Longhorn

I would have a look at the Canton Speaker powerbuys, they seem a Very good deal for £240!!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195561

That leaves you say £200 for an AMP which would get you a decent AMp

IE
    Marantz SR4400 £170

Yamaha RX-V350 £183

Or you could stretch to a Denon AVR-1705 £ 240 ish

With hopefully change for a stand, and a bit for cabling etc ( the bit we never seem to budget for!!)

I have seen a lot of V good reviews on here for the Canton Speakers ( I am seriously considering Cantons for a new Front set as I am moving house V soon)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

3. Longhorn

Longhorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for that chris !!

will look into it m8

Thanks

Ian J

4. billt

billt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I am also considering a very similar syatem. i.e. Canton CD1 together with a Yamaha RX-V450 (£149.95 from Superfy)

Chrper, would you recomend the RX-V350 instead.
    I am also new to this too, so would appreciate yours and others opinions.

Thank you

Bill

5. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the 750, so cant realy compare.

however having looked at the specs the 450 is 6.1 whilst the 350 is 5.1 so I would go for the 450 and you could then drop in a rear speker when funds allow.

The build/sound quality of the yamaha is impresive so i would certainly say they are worth consideration. and it looks like a V good deal!!

Hope this helps

Chris

6. billt

billt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help Chris.

btw do you know what extra sound effect is improved by a 6:1 compared to a 5:1. I read on another thread that the film has to have been recorded 6:1 originally. Do you think that the sound is improved even if this is not the case.

Thanks again

Bill

7. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From What I understand, the Amp will try and place some sound through the rear speaker even if its not a true 6.1 sound mix.

I have played with a 6th speaker but in my present room the layout does not allow for anything to be placed behind the sofa!! ( its up against the wall with the surrounds level with the seating position). but on LOTR you do get a true rear output and it was fun having it sat on the back of the sofa and getting a full effect!!

However the wife soon put a stop to that!! and my mate wanted his speaker back!!

I am moving to a new house quite soon and that will have space for rears so I will be going for a new set of fronts ( possibly Cantons 2 x cd100 1 x cd50) which will free up a couple of MS 302s that will neatly enough become the rear pair in a 7.1 setup.

Cant wait to try it and see if it can confuse the Cat anymore than the current setup does!!

Hope this helps

Chris

8. billt

billt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for spending your time replying Chris. I will experiment with 6:1 sometime in the furure.

Cheers

Bill