Home cinema/stereo integration by means of dvd player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cribeiro, Dec 3, 2004.

1. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Hi there!

Just an easy question for you... I am thinking it is time to change my crappy dvd player, and that might also be the way to solve my integration problem between home cinema and stereo.
    My idea was to get a dvd player with 5.1 (at least) pre-out, so I could plug the 2 main pre-out to the stereo, and the rest to the 5.1 input of my "good old" yammy.
    That is, the stereo amp would amplify the mains, and the home cinema the rest. Of course, I would need to find some fixed position for the volume in both amps.
    The question is: is there a dvd player such that you can lower the overall level in all channels? If so, then I am sure this will work.
    I have not seen such a solution anywhere else, so I think it is interesting to comment it here.
    Advantages? Drawbacks? Impossible? Just let me know:lesson: ! Thanks and regards.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I take it that the "good old Yammy" does not have any decoding, only a 5.1 input.
    Does it have pre-outs for the fronts though? (And state the model please)

It can work even without volume control at the DVD player (some no-name players actually have this, usually those with Karaoke function) - but you need to juggle with two volume controls. So it's possible but not really convenient.

3. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Sorry, I thought details about my home-cinema amp were irrelevant...
    But there you are: it is not that "old" (so I used quotation marks), but this market goes so fast that many would consider it "obsolete"... I am talking about a Yamaha rx-v530. So it does have all needed decoders, but it does not have pre-outs, which is the reason why I am looking for an alternative.
    My first idea was to change it and get a Denon 1905, which fits very well from the "looks" point of view. But then I thought I could do the same with a good dvd player, which in any case I need, so why would I spend more money than needed?

The point is, with the Denon I would need to fix the volume knob of my Azur amp at a certain level each time I want to use the home-cinema. If my idea about the dvd player works, I would have to fix, in addition, that of the amp (which is not much extra work anyway), and then manage the overall sound level by means of the dvd player, so I don't need to play with the two volume knobs each time I need to turn it up or down. In that case if would be convenient. It would be like using all my amps as power amplifiers, and the dvd player as pre-amp.
    OF course I would miss all the advantages of sound processing in the yamaha amp, but I never use them anyway...
    Oh, I just realized I would miss the prologicII... That is something serious...