1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home cinema speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by LCD User, Aug 23, 2005.

1. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

New to this.
    Hope I'm in the right sub forum?
    Anyway, I have a Philips LCD tv with Ambilight. I love the TV but now feel I'd like to upgrade the sound and buy a home cinema system. Looking at spending up to about £1000. Have been looking at high end Tannoy arena (v pricey but has great reviews) and the Mission M-cubes which are on sale as an ex demo at a shop near me. I want something that will be good on Movies but that I can also play music through the CD or record player. Also what kind of home cinema amp would you reccommend. Looking at under £300.

2. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,099
    You're unlikely to get a 'one stop' answer in here or the amp/receiver forum.
    I would look for an amp recommendation in your budget and then seek speakers to match or vice versa depending on which is more important e.g. if you need small silver speakers then start with that and a budget.

In the last 6 years I've had a low end Sherwood amp (£200) and big Mission speakers (702e+700) which worked well but took up a of space.
    Then I replaced the amp with a mid range Yamaha (£350) which sounded much better with the same speakers.
    Then a house move meant I changed to a lower end Eltax sub/sat (£200) system which didn't sound as good with the Yamaha.
    The Yamaha went wrong and was replaced with a Denon 2105 (£350) which sounds better with the cheap speakers but I've got a sub problem :(

Now I'm waiting for an order from the Power buy at the top of this forum for a Canton CD1 set with CD100 fronts and a CD50 centre £634 (RRP £1140) which I'm expecting to be a major improvement. Canton do speakers designed to go with flat screens which may suit you.

If you've got a local dealer and some time then I would go in tell them what you're looking to spend and ask them to demo systems in that range - and let your ears decide. You may get a discount for buying everything including cable etc. at once.

4. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for a demo today with the mission m cubes and using the yamaha RXV 457 home cinema system and must say with the looks and the performance on both DVD and CD it was very impressive. It's not a cheap set up with the amp at about £250 and the m cubes with all the cabling down to £900 ex display. Hopefully with connector cables I can get a decent deal on that. Only concern is that mission are no more but thae warranty still seems to be 5 years on them through the dealer.
    Also looked at the B&W but to get the same preformance with the bigger sub it was about £1600 and then a better amp needed for them to perform.

5. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    The Missions are a very good package, you won't go wrong here
    I would not worry about the warranty too much as you'll be going through the dealer for the first year (the year most likely something would happen)

I went for the B&W's myself as they had the slight edge for sound (but using my existing sub) - plus the B&W's were also great to wall mount.

6. LCD User

LCD User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've gone for the Denon 1906 with my mission mcubes. £300 for the amp from my local dealer. Happy with that seeing that £289 is the best price from some warehouse in Chelmsford with no customer service!
    I got the mcubes for £840 with stands which I thought was pretty good too.