Home Cinema Speakers For Movies & Music

Skellers75

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for some help and advice on my next speaker purchase.
I will be moving into my new house shortly and need a full home cinema system.

I’ve already purchased my new LG OLED 65 C9 PLA TV.
I have approx £4000 to cover a new Amp & Speakers, the Amp is likely to be the Denon AVC-X6500H so the balance of the money will be for my new speakers. I could probably stretch a little bit further in money for the right speaker setup.

I am currently looking at the Monitor Audio Silver 200 AV12 speaker package but wanted to know if there are better alternatives to look at or can anyone confirm if this is a great choice. I was leaning towards these as the front speakers are reviewed as being good for music (I also have a Rega P3 Record Player)

I would be looking at Arendal series speakers or XTZ Cinema range. although if you want to tie it up for £4k it might be tight if you are including the AVR X6500.

You could drop down to the X4500 which is pretty decent and around £800 at present which is great value.

One of these subs would be good too depending on your size of room, they are on special price atm so very good value and perform very well.

I’ve previously had Monitor Audio and XTZ speakers and while both are good, you will be hard pushed to better Arendal speakers for the price. Equally awesome with both music and movies.

I’ve checked out the link for the Arendal speakers and they certainly look the part. Looks like pre-orders start in June, I just hope they put a package price together to make it more affordable.

I havn’t known them to do that in the past but I guess you never know, you can but ask I suppose.

I think you’ll be right. Should cost approximately £2800 for a 5.1 system.
What do you think about the Amp to run these speakers.
Is the Denon one a good choice?

I havn’t heard the Denon 6500 myself but from what I read it’s a good overall choice.

Mk worth a look?

I’m looking for some help and advice on my next speaker purchase.
I will be moving into my new house shortly and need a full home cinema system.

I’ve already purchased my new LG OLED 65 C9 PLA TV.
I have approx £4000 to cover a new Amp & Speakers, the Amp is likely to be the Denon AVC-X6500H so the balance of the money will be for my new speakers. I could probably stretch a little bit further in money for the right speaker setup.

I am currently looking at the Monitor Audio Silver 200 AV12 speaker package but wanted to know if there are better alternatives to look at or can anyone confirm if this is a great choice. I was leaning towards these as the front speakers are reviewed as being good for music (I also have a Rega P3 Record Player)

What kind of room you have, floorplan would be helpfull (quick draw with windows paint)?!

Have you considered standmount speakers with stands or must have floorstanders as mains?

The Denon 6500 is a 11 channel amp and unless you intend to use all 11 channels I would go with the 4500 it's cheaper and has pretty much everything the 6500 has with just 9 channels which is plenty if you want a 5.1 or 5.1.4 system. It will also save you quite a bit of money as they have been available for £799 recently. The 4500 has 125w per channel where the 6500 has 140w per channel so just a little bit down on power but not enough to worry about IMV but you can save £700 so well worth considering.

4500 can process 11 channels though. So if you decide you want the extra you can add a small amp to get 7.1.4

I like the idea of saving myself £700 by going for the X4500H.

It’s been so long since I bought any new kit that a few recommendations wouldn’t go a miss when it comes to speaker wires and HDMI cables.

They need to be top quality to go with everything else so what’s good guys?

Appreciate all your help by the way.

Cant really comment re speaker cables - but re HDMI, if the runs are under 5mtrs then you cant go wrong with Amazon basics, they do a great range and are very affordable.

You can only go wrong if you spend more than £3-4 a meter for speaker cable as more doesn't normally give a better sound. I personally would spend no more then £1-2 per meter as any more is wasteful especially if you have to buy lots of the stuff.

An example below but there are many others.

And use banana plugs for terminating them again an example below and there are also many others available.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'm driving just a 5.1.2 with a Denon X6500. It is a very good amp and is an improvement on my previous X6200. It has the same processor in the AL32 and the 4500 but with an improved power supply and components, hence the difference in price. I thought about the 4500 but Peter Tyson gave me an excellent trade in on my old 6200 that there was very little difference in cost.

As good as the 6500/4500 are for film and TV they are poor for serious stereo music listening and so I have a Rega stereo amp driving the fronts.

As for speakers I have the old KEF R Serie all round.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'm driving just a 5.1.2 with a Denon X6500. It is a very good amp and is an improvement on my previous X6200. It has the same processor in the AL32 and the 4500 but with an improved power supply and components, hence the difference in price. I thought about the 4500 but Peter Tyson gave me an excellent trade in on my old 6200 that there was very little difference in cost.

As good as the 6500/4500 are for film and TV they are poor for serious stereo music listening and so I have a Rega stereo amp driving the fronts.

As for speakers I have the old KEF R Serie all round.

And this is another good reason for picking the 4500 over the 6500 in that with the £700 saved you can buy a very good new or used stereo amp or even 5 channel power amp to get an upgrade on the sound output especially for the stereo aspect if you find the Denon sound wanting.

That saving on receiver might give you opportunity to jump on good standmount speakers if you are open for that idea. We could use Arendal 1723 S Bookshelf as example which are step up from the smaller 1961 range. See them on link below, but notice that center channel is not Arendal!

X4500H - 799£
1723 S Bookshelf - 1158£/pair
1723 S Centre - 711£
1723 S Surrounds (or Bookshelf S used as surround sides) - 1158£/pair

--------------------
3826£ + speaker stands 100-150£. You would still need about 400-800£ for decent subwoofer (SVS, Arendal, BK etc.) Total price could be brought down by picking smaller surround speakers from 1961 range!

B&W 700 serie should be good option and there is 20% discount going now for them!
706 S2 mains, HTM 71 S2 center, 707 S2 surrounds = 2461£

KEF R3 + R2c are bit more expensive and there is no smaller surrounds from same range, but still one of the best picks in this class.

Yeah this range of speakers looks impressive.

anyone have any dealings with Wharfdale evo 4 series, I love how they look in the walnut especially the 4.4 towers but they don’t seem to do a subwoofer for it.

Last edited:
I would go with the 4500 it's cheaper
I like the idea of saving myself £700 by going for the X4500H

TBH the denons are all a fine choice for AV but music not necessarily as much.

Speaking personally I'd go for a cheaper Denon for AV and add a HT bypass enabled integrated stereo amp to drive the front L&R and for dedicated use for stereo.

You could even drop a step further down to the 3500 as that also has pre-outs of you so desired.

Don't get me wrong you may be happy with the Denon for music reproduction but a stereo amp will be so much better.

I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on the Denon X4500H as it’s currently selling at £799 from Peter Tyson, it’s such a good price that it’s hard to turn down.

My main decision now is which speakers to go with.

Options

1) Arendal 1961 Series
2) Monitor Audio Silver 200 series
3) Wharfdale Evo 4 Series but maybe with Arendal subwoofer

All with front towers, Center & 2 rears mounted on the wall.

I don’t think there is much in the price so does anyone have a clear message of “You’ve got to buy that one”

I get that some people like specific brands but looking for good honest opinions.

Thanks

Good decision re the Denon X4500 as it is such a good buy and should see you not needing an upgrade for a few years other than adding a stereo amp at some stage should you want superior musical performance.

As to speakers I think the Arendals would be my choice even though no one has heard them yet, basing this on what is further up the range and the quality and VFM Arendal offer. There would be a wait though so that may be an issue for you.

If you go with either MA or Wharf make sure you get a better sub from Arendal/XTZ/BK as they offer better performance and value £for£.

One last shout on the speakers take a look at the XTZ spirits, they are at least as good as the MA/ Wharfs and offer exceptional value @ around £1000 for a 5 speaker package of LCR and surrounds so when you add a quality sub from XTZ or Arundel you will have change from £1600-1800 depending on which sub you go for.

Spirit 11 towers

Spirit 6 centre only in white at present.

Spirit 4 surrounds

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom