Home Cinema Speaker Selection Advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by richard_t, Jan 29, 2009.

1. richard_t

richard_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I've just bought a Pioneer SC-LX71 Receiver and I'm now in the process of narrowing down a selection of speakers to go with it.

The set up will be housed in a dedicated room and will be used purely for film watching (I may listen to music from time to time, but I don't want to take music into consideration for my purchases - it's movie performance comes first).

My budget for L/C/R + SR/SL is between £1000 & £1500.

So far i've come up with...

2x KEF IQ70
    1x KEF IQ60
    2x KEF IQ30

or

2x Monitor Audio RS6
    1x Monitor Audio RSLCR
    2x Monitor Audio RSFX

All these speakers and the amp are apparently quite bright sounding though and so i'm not sure whether or not i should choose speakers that will smooth out the amplifiers character. If that's the case then what other recommendations do people have in that price bracket?

I'll obviously be demo'ing the speakers before purchase, but I'm wanting to narrow my list down as much as possible to suitable candidates so I'm not wasting either my own or my dealers time.

If anyone is running a Pioneer amp with the above speakers though and is happy I'd also love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Firstly, i can't help but notice you don't seem to mention a subwoofer in that lot??

You're right on what you say though... the system does seem to err on the bright side of things.

Maybe look at the Focal 700 Series, or in my honest opinion, if it's a movie only system, go with a movie oriented setup... namely look at M&K and the XTZ Powerbuy (that does screw up a demo, but initial comments are very favourable for a system that is in budget)

Russ.Will review of the XTZ - http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/862415-xtz-99-25-review-uk-first-mkii.html

Or any of the packs from here that are in budget: MILLER and KREISEL Hifi and AV at Hifix