Home Cinema Speaker Recommendations for 5.0 System

Andy3105

Hi everybody,

I currently have a 5.1.2 system which comprises of 6 x Tannoy SFX 5.1 satellites and 1 x centre plus a Cambridge Audio S90 subwoofer being fed by a Sony STR-DH790 and PS5.

My problem is bass leakage, basically the thump and thud of it is audible from outside and it's making SWMBO angry which means I can't really make use of the system even with night mode engaged.

Now back in the day I had a matching 5.0 setup utilising 2 floorstanders, 2 bookshelves and centre which provided enough bass that I didn't feel the need for a sub but I replaced it due to convenience.

I am thinking of going back to a similar system but using all bookshelf speakers instead of a mix and obviously no sub and I'm looking for advice on what to buy, ideally not too expensive being a major factor.

I've attached a picture of my current arrangement for reference.

Thanks for reading and all advice is most welcome.

Andy.

Attachments

• PXL_20210721_083456869.jpg
    PXL_20210721_083456869.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 29

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Can you just run the sub lower when she is at home (you can lower it from Sony menu even during movie, "subwoofer level") and turn it off from Sony menu at night time or better yet use some quality "sealed" headphones when she goes to sleep so you can crank out if you feel so! Maybe the sub is set bit too hot now? It also looks to be very close to wall as it`s rear ported so i would push the sub forward more if possible. Another option would be to try it as nearfield by the couch / behind the couch. This way you don`t have to run the sub so loud, you get greater impact. This trick is often used in apartments with neighbours. You would need to change the tiny speakers though first cause the sub has to play quite high now to support them and usually then the sub is best to keep close. If you had some decent sized bookshelf speakers crossed around 80hz then you could try it.

Looks like you have man cave there. I think it would be huge mistake to throw sub out and just stick with bookshelf speakers. Ok if you mostly watch comedies and dramas, but i doubt that is the case.
I see you have lot of movies collected so we can assume this hobby is dear for you.

Andy3105

Can you just run the sub lower when she is at home (you can lower it from Sony menu even during movie, "subwoofer level") and turn it off from Sony menu at night time or better yet use some quality "sealed" headphones when she goes to sleep so you can crank out if you feel so! Maybe the sub is set bit too hot now? It also looks to be very close to wall as it`s rear ported so i would push the sub forward more if possible. Another option would be to try it as nearfield by the couch / behind the couch. This way you don`t have to run the sub so loud, you get greater impact. This trick is often used in apartments with neighbours. You would need to change the tiny speakers though first cause the sub has to play quite high now to support them and usually then the sub is best to keep close. If you had some decent sized bookshelf speakers crossed around 80hz then you could try it.

Looks like you have man cave there. I think it would be huge mistake to throw sub out and just stick with bookshelf speakers. Ok if you mostly watch comedies and dramas, but i doubt that is the case.
I see you have lot of movies collected so we can assume this hobby is dear for you.
Yeah it's a big thing for me, always has been and I use headphones but I miss the genuine surround sound effects you get with a physical system.

It's funny you should mention turning the sub down as I've just dropped the volume on the sub itself to test later tonight but I hadn't thought about doing it from the actual receiver menu.

The sub is about 10cm from the wall and I had considered relocating it, I may explore the possibility further after your suggestions, thanks very much for such a detailed response.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom