Home Cinema Speaker Placement - Picture included

T

tizzo

Hi,

I just received my KEF 3005.2 speakers and my Denon AVR2808 amp and I'm trying different setups. So far I think the setup in the attached image makes the most sense, especially since I will be adding a lounge chair opposite the right side of the couch (facing the television) in the near future.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated, since I am not sure if this is the best setup to go for.

thanks in advance,

tiz

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 736
All good, except for the front left which may be a bit far from the telly, esp. when the armchair arrives. Experiment with it's position.

You'll also need to tweak the delays on the rears to get them perfect.

I'd put the TV in front of the Window or at least in front of half of it for a better sound stage

thanks for the replies, unfortunately, the tv cannot stand in front of the window, since they are open swinging windows (to the inside) and are almost from floor to ceiling. If i'd put the tv there, I'd never be able to open the windows anymore, without knocking over the tv / having to replace it.

@ cribeiro: I am not sure what you mean with "from corner to corner"

I would move the TV to the centre of the wall and move the sofa to the centre of the room facing it, even if its only whilst watching movies.

Regards

Nige.

You could try mounting the rears high up on the walls pointing down, the extra few feet distance it makes improved the performance of my set up - I too have my sofa against the wall.

The lounge chair will be the perfect listening position but you'll need to make a decision as to which sitting position you set the sound levels for. As you currently have it, the rear by the door is going to have to be quite soft and if you sit in the chair you'll be dominated by the other rear. If you could move the sofa around by 90 degrees it would be a perfect set up.

When I next move I'm going to make sure that the lounge is nice and deep so that the rears can really create a seamless soundstage (and have a south facing garden).

Another thing, I bought a sound meter which was a great purchase as when you get the levels right the sound can be truly enveloping, the auto set up on my amp just wasn't precise enough. What a difference when I got it right! Radio shack ones can be bought for circa £20 if you shop around, but I guess see how your amp does first.

@ cribeiro: I am not sure what you mean with "from corner to corner"

Sorry, I should have been working when I answered:rolleyes:, so I wrote very fast :rolleyes:
I mean that you sit in one corner, and the tv goes on the other corner. But now that I think about it, it is not such a good idea, because the front right would also block your window...

If tv and couch must be kept where they are, I'd put the left front nearer the tv, as Nobber22 suggested, but also put
1. the rear left to the left of your seating position, about the middle of the couch and close to the ceiling
2. the rear right in the corner of that opening (couch side) and also close to the ceiling.

Tizzo, I have just edited your drawing, see attachment. I think this (with the rear speakers close to the ceiling) will give you a better surround experience.

Attachments

• setupAlternative.jpg
    setupAlternative.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 577
thanks for the replies, I will shuffle them around a bit using your suggestions and see what sounds best.

t

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom