home cinema speaker help.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by DominicBrookes, Jun 23, 2015.

?
  1. Onkyo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sony

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DominicBrookes

DominicBrookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi i have two quick questions if you could help please?

1) I have had an Onkyo HTX22HDX 5.1 for years which i never used but because I have just bought a sony KDL829b I am now keen on using it again. After setting it up though and looking all over the internet for an answer i can not for the life of me find out how to get the system to power up and down when i turn on/off my playstation, i always have to turn the Onkyo on/off manually and it is already getting annoying.

2) I got a free Sony HT-CT80 soundbar with my new tv but don't want to open it to try it against my Onkyo because it will lose value and i will be selling one or the other. My question is would the Onkyo HTX22HDX 5.1 still be miles better even though it is 5 years old or should i open and keep the better looking tidier soundbar?

Thanks a lot this help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,573
    Soundbar - I can't imagine it offers anything by way of a sound upgrade over the Onkyo system, which does have the option to expand to 5.1 if required.

PS3 - lots of variables at play to ensure auto source selection works, ensure the TV, AV Amp and PS3 are running the latest Firmware and have a look at HDMI CEC Control settings on each device.

Joe

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    If you have the full 5.1 Onkyo system then it will give a much better surround sound experience compared to a sound bar. So if sound quality is your primary goal then keep the Onkyo. However, if you want ease of operation then the sound bar may offer this and will be an improvement over the TV speakers, just not as good as the Onkyo.
    As Joe says, try the HDMI control setting (Bravialink on the Sony I believe).

4. DominicBrookes

DominicBrookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I do have 5.1 so i guess i will stick with that thanks. Now it is just this annoying problem of the speakers not turning on and off.

I did actually check the HDMI control settings yesterday on the tv and "auto devices off" is on and "auto tv on" is on yet they don's seem to work?

I only have a hdmi cable running form the "out" slot on the back of the Onkyo amp to the tv, would i need another lead running from the tv to a hdmi in slot as well? Coming to think of it i can not get the onkyo speakers to work on the tv only when watching something through the playstation on a different hdmi channel. maybe running another hdmi lead form the tv to the speakers would solve these problems?

Cheers

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,105
    You may need to check that you are using the 'ARC' enabled HDMI socket on your TV as only one will be enabled and it may not be HDMI '1' (my Panasonic TV it is HDMI '2' for example). You may also need to enable HDMI control in the amp as well. I use a Marantz NR1605 slimline AVR in my conservatory using ARC connection/HDMI control and it all works perfectly so I only need to use the TV remote to control sound and picture (keeps it simple for other users too ;) ).

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I do not think the Onkyo system is ARC enabled so you would need to run an optical cable from the TV to the Onkyo to get sound from the TV. The PS3 should be connected direct to the Onkyo via HDMI.

7. DominicBrookes

DominicBrookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think i am getting there lol, there is indeed only one ARC hdmi which was the number 2 slot as you mentioned and i had the hdmi lead in slot 3, unfortunately this still has not changed anything even though i have all the onkyo enabled for HDMI control and the bravia system to. Am i right in thinking i only need to run that optical cable form the tv to the onkyo now and everything should work as planned? sound form the speakers for standard tv and the auto on/off?.

Also does it have to be an optical cable or could i just use another hdmi cable even though there will be no HD sound to benefit? it's just that HDMI cables are cheaper on Amazon.

Thanks for the help guys.

8. DominicBrookes

DominicBrookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    just to clarify my connections, i now have one hdmi lead form onkyo "out" into the tv hdmi ARC slot, one hdmi from ps3 to onkyo "in" slot 1 and one hdmi form ps4 to onkyo "in" slot 2.

9. citywalker

citywalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    your connections are correct. Now check settings. There is possibility, that you get hdmi handshake issue and devices will not work together - turning on and off, control volume etc.
    Be sure your hdmi cables are the newest "high speed with ethernet" type, or your cec and arc functions will not work.

10. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I do not think the Onkyo system has ARC on it so this will not work anyway. The HDMI control function should allow auto switching on of the Onkyo though.
    You do need an optical since the HDMI will not work if your Onkyo system is not ARC enabled. So if you want sound from the internal tuner on the TV you will need an optical cable from the TV to the Onkyo.

11. DominicBrookes

DominicBrookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    yep it does have ARC it has "audio return channel" under the hdmi setup in the menu i have had it turned on all the time along with "power control" turned on. It's almost as if the onkyo and tv are not connected if i turn the ps3 on and go to hdmi channel for the ps3 the onkyo setup menu will come up on the tv but if i try and bring the set up menu up when on the standard tv channel nothing comes up, i have to see the menu through the tiny amp screen.

I can't see this happening all the settings are correct it just doesn't seem to play ball might be time to give up.

I have all the tv bravia link options set to on and have followed the manual instructions to the letter for the RHID set up but to no avail.

What i can't get my head around most though is the onkyo speakers just will not work on the standard tv channels, looking in the onkyo manual again it seems because the tv does support ARC that i shouldn't even need an optical output lead just the hdmi in lead should suffice but again no joy.

Anyway thanks for the help it was much appreciated.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,573
    CEC, ARC and any number of three letter acronyms included in the list of possibilities when using HDMI are easily disrupted/broken by poor software implementation, incompatible firmware and even just plugging/unplugging cables in a particular order.

Firmware - ensure all devices are up to date.

TV - requires CEC plus ARC enabled and even then may require you to toggle ext Speakers On/Off.

TV - will usually only allow you to make adjustments to the HDMI settings when an HDMI Source is connected and selected as the active Source.

Once you have confirmed all devices have up to date Firmware try resting them to a default factory reset, then power everything off and connect up as required (try not to be plugging/unplugging cables when devices are On or in Standby) then go back through the settings to enable CEC and ARC.

Joe

13. DominicBrookes

DominicBrookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have added another hdmi lead from tv to the onkyo (so two now, one to the "in" slot on onkyo and another to the "out" slot) and it is basically there, the onkyo turns on when i change the tv to the ps3 hdmi channel and turns off again when i turn the tv off. I still can't get the onkyo speakers to work on the tv though which is weird.

Thanks for the help.