home cinema sound and projector help/ recommendations 3.5k budget

bill bones

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Hoping for some advice, guidance or recommendations.

I am converting my detached garage into a bar/movie room. Currently boarding out, insulating and sorting out the power. All of this work I can do myself or pay (electrician, plasterer etc), and I’m pretty confident I know what's what.

But when it comes to anything AV related I’m out of my depth. I’m a bit unsure how to kit it out to get the best value for money.

I’d like (I think) a 5.1 sound system, and AV and a projector. Top end of my planned total budget for this is about 3.5k GBP – although if it comes in cheaper that’s great. Or am I being too optimistic.

The sound system would be used both for movies, sport etc but also for music when the room is used as a bar.

In terms of what I’d be watching it would be a mixture of Blu-ray films, live sports (football, boxing and athletics). I’d also occasionally use for a it of casual gaming (PS5) – nothing competitive so wouldn’t need crazy 200+ fps etc. Ideally a short throw projector would be better than ceiling mounted, but I haven’t plastered the ceiling yet so still relatively easy to get a mounted system if needed.

Any advice on how to best spend my budget? (i'll be buying a screen projector too, but will come from a different budget).

The room is approximately 5m x 5m and the edge of the projector screen will be offset a little to one side of the wall, maybe a metre in from the wall. Layout and picture attached.

bar cinema set up.jpg
bar pic.jpg

cheers

Last edited:
I would forget the short throw projector. Too noisy/expensive and you have the wires showing so it´s quite a hassle. I have older Benq short throw model, so noisy and the wire nightmare when you have it on coffee table. There is those ultra near field machines, but in the year of 2021 who wants to buy 1080p gear..
Amazon product ASIN B077FVQ9D5
Rather look to mount on ceiling and some faux 4K model like Epson TW7100 around 1500£ mark is likely your best bet. It has fairly low input lag so likely is still fine for gaming and otherwise seem to offer good picture quality etc. Also lot less noisier than Benq W2700, it really ruins the whole experience if "vacuum cleaner" in the background!

The projector screen is from other budget so that would leave 2k£ for receiver and speakers, subwoofer. Quite tight, but perhaps there is good deals to be made. You can go listen different models soon as the hifi shops are opening so you don´t have to choose blind. For subwoofer don´t buy the package model, buy it from dedicated manufacturer who specializes in woofers. In UK - BK Electronics is most popular choice with tight budget:

For a 5x5 room with your usage toward movies, games i would consider either Monolith (495£) or P12-300SB-PR (499£).

You can get discount if you buy av-receiver and speakers (5.0) together, just need to email/call for best deals.

Thanks for the advice.

Seems like the suggestion is:

projector 1500
subwoofer 500
5.0 speakers + AV 1500

One more question - for the 1500 for AV and 5.0 speakers , can you get bundles? Or would it be a 5.0 speaker bundle + AV? If so, what sort of price range should I be looking at for an AV, and are AVs and speakers broadly compatible ? (sorry for all the questions - i'm a complete novice in this space)

Thanks for the advice.

Seems like the suggestion is:

projector 1500
subwoofer 500
5.0 speakers + AV 1500

One more question - for the 1500 for AV and 5.0 speakers , can you get bundles? Or would it be a 5.0 speaker bundle + AV? If so, what sort of price range should I be looking at for an AV, and are AVs and speakers broadly compatible ? (sorry for all the questions - i'm a complete novice in this space)

Yes you can get bundle deals for most brands. Example below (just need to ask price without sub):

I think the FX "rear" speakers in Monitor Audio system would be quite ideal as you have couch against wall, check out the MA Bronze 50 and 200 system. It´s going to be quite tight with your budget what ever you choose. You need speaker stands (60cm) for the main speakers or get the floorstanders.

The bundle deals come with free wires/cables, but the speaker wire is so thin that personally i would look something better (Amazon has cheap options).

It´s bit shame the screen comes so close to that left wall meaning the speaker goes nearly in corner which isn´t good idea, just need to push them more forward then.

Projector - keep in mind they produce a fair amount of heat so ensure you have a way to keep the room at a comfortable temp.

Also think about sight lines and folk walking between the projector and the screen - a large TV may be more suitable in your room.

Speakers - as the walls are open you could consider an In-wall system.

Surround speakers - ideally go to the side of the seating which is not going to be easy with your offset layout, it may be worth considering In- ceiling options (assuming you are not planning for Atmos overhead channels.

Joe

Projector - keep in mind they produce a fair amount of heat so ensure you have a way to keep the room at a comfortable temp.

Also think about sight lines and folk walking between the projector and the screen - a large TV may be more suitable in your room.

Speakers - as the walls are open you could consider an In-wall system.

Surround speakers - ideally go to the side of the seating which is not going to be easy with your offset layout, it may be worth considering In- ceiling options (assuming you are not planning for Atmos overhead channels.

Joe
Thanks for the advice. I have been thinking about the placement of projector screen, speakers, sofas etc and may adapt my plans a little and move the screen and speakers more central (although still offset perhaps 50-100cm from centre point). My sofa's are on wheels so when using the projector I will move them across the back wall, to be centrally oriented to the screen and speakers. But when using as a bar, move them back across to the corner to free up space.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom