Question Home Cinema Sound £1-2k, Camrbidge Audio Aero 5.1?

Raqe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am wanting a solid home cinema setup. It's solely for movies and I really don't care at all about music, so if I have to sacrifice anything that is fine!

It is for my LG 4K 3d oled tv so I have to be sure it's compatible with that. The cinema system is for my second room so ideally I would like a budget of £1000 (maybe add some later for a second rear set). I'm not sure how much I ought to spend on these, but if possible I'd like to say, be able to get the rear speakers at a later time and run 2.1 until I have the money for the rear (if the setup is going to be very expensive).

Have any of you tried the Cambridge Audio 5.1 Aero speakers?
How much would I have to spend to go 1 up from that? Are the speakers... 'wow' quality. I'm not sure how much theatre systems go for but at 1k its pretty pricey (it might be on the low end of audio? I've no idea).

Cambridge Audio AERO 5.1 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

Do I need to buy cabling? I believe monoprice cable is what I want, but what size and connectors/tools?

Last edited:
  • Denon AVR2200W 4k receiver (£280)
  • SVS 1000 sub (£400) (or BK Elec Sub at £300)
  • Monitor Audio Bronze Centre Speaker (£170)
  • Monitor Audio Bronze 2 Bookshelf (£290)
Any better ideas for the price?

Personally I'd not have bookshelves as fronts. Rather pay the extra for the Bronze 5.

Personally I'd not have bookshelves as fronts. Rather pay the extra for the Bronze 5.

Bookshelves with speaker stands look real nice though.

I prefer 2.0 when it comes to music, so bookshelves wouldn't cut it.

If you like it, go for it.

Is there an actual difference on audio quality - books vs floorstanders. if i got floors, would the extra bass on top of the sub sound bad

When using 2.1 the sub does all the low end below 80hz usually (depending on your crossover settings). Floorstanders come into their own for stereo playback. It's down to personal preference really.

Check pm.
why not post the answer in the thread for all to see, that way you may be able to help others who have a similar problem.

Curly

He's already said he's not interested in music and its solely for movies.

Nothing wrong with bookshelves in this set up.

A floor plan with seating layout would be handy - matching the loudspeakers to the Room/Room Layout is key to decent sound playback.

Joe

A floor plan with seating layout would be handy - matching the loudspeakers to the Room/Room Layout is key to decent sound playback.

Joe

Thank you Joe. I will try to draw up a floor plan later on. My second living room is very weird in that I am getting it done up, hence my tv purchase, but also because it is open plan and I haven't found the optimal seating/tv arrangement, not even speakers!

On a side note - would you make any seperate recommendations for pure gaming? I want to fire rockets and hear the world crash around me. What sort of budget would I need for a solid 2.1 setup?

I have a Asus Xonar Essence STX so I don't know if I have to upgrade that or not.

I currently have Corsair SP2500 speakers and want something that will blow them out of the water.

"I currently have Corsair SP2500 speakers and want something that will blow them out of the water.
"
Won't be hard :)

Gaming at a desk?

"I currently have Corsair SP2500 speakers and want something that will blow them out of the water.
"
Won't be hard :)

Gaming at a desk?

Yes, exactly. What sort of receiver would I need or would my Soundcard do the job? What sub/speakers should I look at

I'd be looking at a stereo amp with bookshelves on stands either side of desk with a small active sub. My knowledge is rather limited though, so don't take my word for it. :)

I'd be looking at a stereo amp with bookshelves on stands either side of desk with a small active sub. My knowledge is rather limited though, so don't take my word for it. :)

I'm limited to about £150 for speakers / sub. Wharfdale SW150 and the 9.1 DIamond speakers?

With the amp, A Magni 2 (£100) or UBER (£150) or Yamaha A-S501 (£180)?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom