1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Cinema Setup

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by hazza, Oct 8, 2005.

1. hazza

hazza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have question for all you AV experts , i'm looking for a new home cinema sound and thinking of going the AV reciever and speakers route rather than a home cinema kit.

My question is what the overall setup / architechture of these things?? I have a Pany PWD 6 plasma, and a TUTP tuner, and the normal sky box, DVD etc, would everything then get plugged into the AV reciever and then into the tuner box and then the screen??? or would i have to drop the tuner box altogether??

Also most AV recievers only appear to have one component output, would the AV reciever convert everything input (composite, s-video etc ) and output it to the component output? i'm guessing i'm wrong here.

Please help, before i make a mistake and take the wrong plung?

2. nak

nak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    First of all dump the tuner. It's signal conveyance is poor often resulting in bad chroma delay, solarization (particularly in blues), and general colour bleed.

Your receiver would be ideal if it supports YUV (component) out, or DVI-D out.
    The newer amps/recv will convert the composite/svhs you feed them but their processing rate is relatively slow compared to scalers. (Lip sync often ensues)
    No need to use HDMI as you wont benefit (but you knew that).

A clean DVI-D or YUV interface will provide a healthy and stable looking 480p PQ to your monitor. You'll swear it was live!!

Plenty of life in the 6 series Pannys

:hiya:

3. hazza

hazza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Thanks for that Nak,
    The models i'm thinking of are the the Yamaha RX640+, or the denon 3803+, would these be able to convert all inputs into a component output?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    2 very different models there!! If the Denon is a good price go for that. It has video upconversion to component video, though only 2 compoent in ports. Another alternative would be the Onkyo TXSR603, 3 component ins and upconversion for a sensible price. As your screen takes component vid. on it's VGA port, all you'll need is a 3 phono to 15 pin lead, and disconnect the tuner cable, and away you go. With upconversion, you conect any source you like to the amp, and it appears on the screen. You'd want a JS component converter for sky, recoup the dosh for that by selling the tuner on fleabay. Truly excellent setup then, the envy of many forum members!

5. hazza

hazza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Whats your thought on the Yamy 640/650?? I prefer the look of them, and was more interested in getting them to match my DVD player and hifi.