• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Home Cinema Setup - HELP NEEDED for 5.1 surround sound!!

andymet87

Established Member
Hi all...

I hope this is in the right place... if not I would appreciate being moved to the best spot on thge forum!

We have a Samsung LE32A457C1D, a media centre PC (windows 7) and a PS3.... We are about to spend a hundred pounds or so on a surround sound / home cinema system... Tight budget :'( but times are hard!

We are looking at the Samsung HT-C460 from here - Samsung HT-C460 5.1CH HOME CINEMA SYSTEM review cheap prices HT-C460 5.1CH HOME CINEMA SYSTEM Samsung best buy discount online uk shop.

Now the problem is this... Can we plug the PS3 & PC into the TV via HDMI, and then have the 5.1 audio sent via the optical out on the TV to the surround sound?

It would be good as the anynet+ feature would mean that essentially the system wouldnt become any more complicated to use as my other half would complain a lot...

So should the TV be able to pass the 5.1 audio through to the optical??

cheers all,

andymet87

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Most TVs are unable to pass through surround sound from HDMI to the optical output. Normally the best you get is stereo and sometimes you do not even get this (only works from internal tuner). Even if it does you will not get HD audio from the PS3 by going via optical.
I would question the quality of the system considering the very low price and it may not be a lot better than the TV speakers. If you have a tight budget it would be better to go for a stereo system instead or maybe look second hand (get a second hand AVR and pair of speakers then get the other speakers when more funds allow). Either that or just save a bit longer until you can afford something decent.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom