Home cinema setup: floorstand or bookshelf speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Openwave, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Openwave

Openwave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    need some help in deciding the right setup of speakers for my house (currently being constructed).

The family room for the home cinema/entertainment is 3.8 x 3.7 meters (12.5 x 12.3 ft), height to the ceiling is 2.7 meters (9 ft), mostly open area, minimum walls (as pictured in the floor plan below).

The TV is 55 inch LG55LW5700, to be located on a TV cabinet.
    The receiver that I'm eyeing on is the Denon 3312 (mostly same features w/ 3313 w/ lower price).
    Usage will be mostly 60% movie (3D movies for the kid), 40% music . Thinking about doing a 5.1 setup. Not looking for house-shaking bass.
    Maximum budget for speakers: GBP 2,500 (max), excluding cables, AV Receiver.

Already done some search in this forum, including the sticky, on what's the rule of thumb (eg.room size, whether the cinema room is a closed one or partially open,etc) in deciding the speaker type for a home cinema setup: floorstand, or bookshelf.

I'm not yet looking into which brand of speakers, but more on which type at this stage.

I'm including 2 sketches:
    - the floor plan of the 1st floor where the family room will be located at
    - the different perspectives of the family room so people can have a better feel of what the family room will look like (as it's not yet finished)

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers.

if somehow the image is not displayed properly, here's the flickr link:
    House - Family room (floor stander or bookshelf speakers) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    House - Family room (floor stander or bookshelf speakers) - PERSPECTIVES | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    If you have the budget and the space I would go with floorstanders but it depends on the speakers in question. Some floorstanders are identical to their bookshelf counterparts except they have a larger cabinet. Floorstanders will nearly always give you better bass but in a home cinema setup with a sub this is less important as the sub can fill in the blanks. Obviously with a larger cabinet more drivers can be incorporated. As you have a decent sized room, a decent budget and they will be used for music I would say go for it.

Ultimately get a demo of several combos and use your own ears to decide.

3. Openwave

Openwave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave, just want to make sure to get inputs from others that my space warrant for which type of speakers..in this case, floorstanders will not be too big for my family area.

Looking at your Focal avatar :), what Focal range of speakers would you recommend considering my budget, as I know they also have entry level range. Might stop by at the local Focal dealer here while I'm at it, checking out the other brands.

Hv demoed the Dali Motif, didnt suit me (probably because I demo-ed the Dali Mentor floorstanders right before the Motif :)
    The sound of the Motif is a bit too dull.

Thanks

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Your budget should get you a 5.1 package from the 700 or 800 series but alas not the Electras or Utopias! You could always buy the fronts, centre and rears and then get a sub from the likes of BK. I'm sure some dealers would be able to knock up a package at a discount.

5. Openwave

Openwave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave, will look into the Focal 700,800 lines.

What about REL and Velodyne entry level subs, would they fall into the BK sub price bracket? Can't find info on BK pricing.

Cheers.

6. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
  7. Openwave

Openwave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, will check out the forums. I did check the online stores, can't find the BK (probably got the wrong ones).

thanks Dave.

8. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Did you check the link in my previous post?

9. Openwave

Openwave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave, seems The BK brand is not available where I live.

10. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    There are plenty of decent subs around from the more mainstream brands. Get a 10" minimum!

11. Openwave

Openwave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Dave, tried out the REL sub last night w/ Dyn 3/7 floorstander,Dyn 2/6 bookshelf for surround, and Dyn center speaker (DM series I presume), and a REL sub (didnt get the exact model, I know it's the R series), playing out the Inception BluRay.

The REL sub was fantastic, though expensive.