1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Cinema Set Up - No Sound !!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by pgraham, Oct 11, 2005.

1. pgraham

pgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cAN ANYONE HELP ? I have (or more accurately my neighbour has) installed a Denon AV1906 Receiver along with my existing Sony rdr gx3 dvd recorder and have linked them up to the Pioneer SV 410 (5.1) speaker system.

Everything appears to be set up OK. I have a component video cable going from the denon dvd/vdp input to the component video out on the Sony. There is also a digital coaxial cable between the denon and the sony.

The TV is connected to the sony and to the cable box by scarts.

I get no sound from the Pioneers (only from the telly speakers) unless I disconnect the comp video cables and plug in basic red and white (2 channel) cables which appear to be giving at least an impression of surround sound thro the Pioneer speakers, although I'm told that this is only because the denon is converting the signal.

Clearly we are doing something wrong and it can't be difficult but we can't think what it is !! Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do ?

Thanks

pgraham

2. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi PGraham,

May have the wrong end of the stick, but I'll give it a go.

You should have it set-up like:

DVD -> AMP with digital coax
    DVD -> TV with Scart

No need for component cables between DVD and AMP unless you have another set of component's from the AMP to the TV. Component only carries a video signal, not audio so is not required if your TV only has Scart input's.

This should in theory be the easiest way to connect it all up. There must be a setting on the DVD player somewhere which is either not outputing the sound, or more likely, a setting on the AMP which is not looking at the DVD coax input to find it's sound.

This is only a guess, as I don't have the kit you describe. To help other people who do answer this, I think this thread may be better off moving to the integrated amplifier forum maybe, mods do you agree?

Cheers

Andy

3. pgraham

pgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,

thanks for your post - it certainly put me in the right direction. A quick visit to Hi Fi corner in Glasgow (excellent by the way) where I bought the Pioneer speaker system and they confirmed I needed to put the comp video cable from DVD to TV and an RCA-to-scart from Receiver to TV. That did the job.

One further (minor) problem - on auto set up I couldn't get sound (apart from test tone) from the rear speakers - the menu on screen gave an error message which (according to the manual) meant that the surround back speaker was detected but the surround speaker was not. I hadn't appreciated the difference !! HFC (another phone call 10 mins ago!!) said my set up is 5.1 and so all I should need to do is disconnect the surround back speakers from the receiver and connect the surround (L and R) speakers to the receiver instead.

Hopefully there will be a happy ending tonight !! Then I just need to master all the more detailed options in the receiver manual.......

Thanks again

Peter Graham