• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Home Cinema Refurb

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Hi

I have had my HC room for around 6 years now and the paint job was always a compromise in respect of keeping the wife happy. After a bit of gentle persuasion she agreed with a new paint job to help better the black levels :-D

I replaced the Shelving, painted the walls, ceiling and doors the same colour, and repainted the front cabinet. I have got to put some posters up but i am going to avoid the clutter this time so only a select few. Im also sticking to a select number of figures.

The resulting black levels have gone up a huge notch, even the wife commented that it looked darker!! The dark chocolate brown in matt finish just soaks up the light, its a huge improvement.

Here are the before and after pics, with some screen shots of Terminator Salvation from my JVC x30:-

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 159

bgh187

Standard Member
Nice little room :smashin:

rich1985

Really like the changes..looks really cosy.can just see one of my spare bedrooms looking like that!.. What SVS is that?..looks like the SB1000?... I purchased one recently and man does it pack a punch for it's size, the train crash in Super 8 shook my entire living room!..

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Thanks Rich

The new colour makes a huge difference and the unit on the back wall gives a feeling of more space.

It is the SVS SB1000, its amazing for its size the lower end and detail is fantastic a massive upgrade on my old Wharfedale.

rich1985

Thanks Rich

The new colour makes a huge difference and the unit on the back wall gives a feeling of more space.

It is the SVS SB1000, its amazing for its size the lower end and detail is fantastic a massive upgrade on my old Wharfedale.

The new use of the back wall does make the room look bigger, and also less "crowded" around the seating area..can I ask what dimensions the room is?.

As for the SVS..well... I don't really have much to compare it to apart from a tangent millennium sub I had but this thing literally slap's that in the face and laughs!..I couldn't even imagine what some of the duel 15" set ups on here can do...probably scary!.haha..

It's a great room mate and I can't wait to sort out my own!. Enjoy...

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Hi Rich

The room is 8ft x 16ft, the sub is placed opposite the door about 6" from the wall. Due the room dimensions i get boomy base anywhere else, this spot is perfect, nice tight slam and room rattling when it flexes!!

If we ever moved, my only change would be more seating for friends but other than that its a great haven for me and the wife.

I also recommend the devore black fabric, that i have put around the screen, it absorbs the light and helps with punchy contrast.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom