1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

home cinema receiver

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lonestar, Sep 22, 2003.

1. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hello all,

is a home cinema receiver the only box I need to connect my satellite reciver, dvd, video and ps2 to a projector, which will allow me to watch any of the above inputs on a large screen?

a simple question, and one which I hope can produce a simple answer. For the record I'm not too interested in going down the hcpc route.

Thanks.

2. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sort of...

You can plug in any composite video (yellow phono plugs) s-video (mini DIN connector) into a receiver and output though the monitor out connection. When you switch sources the video and audio will be switched.

Here's where the "sort of" comes in...

The trouble is not every piece of AV gear has s-video outs and no AV amp or receiver has SCART connections so you either have to
    live with poor composite video (lowest quality, which will be VERY apparent on a PJ) or get a convertor from RGB scart to s-video. These cost around £70 - £100.

Depending on the projector you may also want to improve the image with a line doubler/ deinterlacer. This converts the interlaced image to progressive scan and increases the number of line in the image which will also be very noticeable on a PJ. Some PJ's (the CRT variety) include a deinterlacer/doubler in the chassis.

Also bear in mind that running video thru the receiver degrades the signal somewhat.

hth,
    Owen

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,036
    Theoretically true, although in practice rarely to any discernible extent.

This is exactly what I do. Svideo and Composite video (plus, audio of course) from all appliances into AV amp. SVideo and composite from Amp to projector.

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    FYI. Maplins do a RGB to S-Video transcoder for around 40 quid and I was more then happy with the results out of my Cable box to Panny AE100.

It almost looked as good as component video :)

Well worth a look.

5. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for all the replies, I'm a little bit more clued in as to what I'll need to achieve my home cinema setup, which will probably be based around the infocus x1 projector.