Home Cinema - rear speaker hiding cables

darrenhaken

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm moving into a new property and I'd like to have the rear speakers for my cinema setup wall mounted.
Ideally, I'd like to either hide the speakers through the wall or an adhesive speaker cabling which can be painted over.

I'm not the most DIY savvy person but looking at cable fishing online it doesn't look too challenging but I'm not sure.

The advice I'm looking for:
  • Cable fishing - best equipment to use, videos to follow, how hard, is it worth it?
  • Adhesive cabling and trunking along with the skirt - is this a sensible compromise, which brands of speaker cabling, which brands of trunking?

Depends what walls you have, if they are stud walls you may have horizontal studs blocking the route from the floor to the speakers. Dot and dab walls may have a path if your lucky. All our walls are dot and dab and generally Incan always find a path by just knocking and checking the sound.

Get your self some cable rods to fish the word up and you should be fine. Hole at the top and hole at the bottom. I’ve never attempted stud walls as it feels a bit messier trying to get through the studs.

Interesting, so it's actually harder with stud walls then dot and dab on a masonry?
I had imagined a masonry wall would be even harder.

Are there any particular tools you'd recommend for fishing? There's a lot of options out there.
If I can feed the cable do you feed it down the wall and then get it back out near the skirt?

If it was me I’d put it in trunking first and live with it for a while. You might find it’s been a year and you haven’t noticed it. But if it annoys you then you can put it in the walls at that point. (Unless you are really keen to start knocking holes in your walls and getting dust everywhere.) I guess if you are on furlough and have time on your hands then this might be a good time to do it.

I used this to carry the rear surround cables - I have white walls and skirting and it lookd like part of the skirting.

Amazon product ASIN B07RRYCQ8F

If you have white skirting you may be able to hide it in the groove.
1A3E8E74-2B33-4473-ACC1-A360B1642B48.jpeg

Do you have fitted carpet in the room? If so and the cables are not too thick, you can lift the edge of the carpet and run the wires between the gripper and skirting if there's a gap, or trim a bit of the underlay alongside the gripper and insert them there.

Use the same stuff in black on the dark rear wall, looks neat and tidy:smashin:
I can't see a link?
Do you have fitted carpet in the room? If so and the cables are not too thick, you can lift the edge of the carpet and run the wires between the gripper and skirting if there's a gap, or trim a bit of the underlay alongside the gripper and insert them there.
Sadly not, it's a wooden floor

Try Klein Tools Steel Fish Tape, worked for me when installing my ceiling speakers,

D Line:
IMG_20210305_144333.jpg

I found the link now for the D-Line, my adblocker was hiding it!

That looks really good. Do you have an example of how it looks running up the wall to a speaker?
Post #18?

Sorry you meant a vertical run? No I don't have wall mouthed speakers I'm afraid.

Before using self-adhesive trunking, just be aware of the potential damage should you need to move/remove it. I prefer to pin or screw, particularly for the uprights which are more visible.

If you can blend the horizontal run with skirting as well as our good Captain then not such a consideration; you can just leave it there!

I have kef t101s mounted to the ceiling for atmos duties, I run d line trunking along the top of the wall. I first stick it with the adhesive and then wall plug/screw every 30 or so cm to make sure it is not going to come down or move. I hardly notice it is there tbh.

Before using self-adhesive trunking, just be aware of the potential damage should you need to move/remove it. I prefer to pin or screw, particularly for the uprights which are more visible.

If you can blend the horizontal run with skirting as well as our good Captain then not such a consideration; you can just leave it there!
Do you mean beware of it between the wall-mounted speaker and the skirt?

I've always found for rears that QED micro speaker cable is small enough to tuck under the skirting board and floor - I even managed it in my current place with wooden floors.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom