Home Cinema - rear speaker hiding cables

darrenhaken

I have kef t101s mounted to the ceiling for atmos duties, I run d line trunking along the top of the wall. I first stick it with the adhesive and then wall plug/screw every 30 or so cm to make sure it is not going to come down or move. I hardly notice it is there tbh.
Where do you bring it down to go to the AV Receiver?
I've always found for rears that QED micro speaker cable is small enough to tuck under the skirting board and floor - I even managed it in my current place with wooden floors.
Nice, I'll give that a shot first then. Are your rears mounted? I was curious to know what you've done to hide cabling up the wall.

Gazgum

Do you mean beware of it between the wall-mounted speaker and the skirt?
Yes, there I would definitely pin or screw. Another ‘eco’ option would be to pin a suitably sized curved profile softwood moulding and paint to match wall.

Vila

Nice, I'll give that a shot first then. Are your rears mounted? I was curious to know what you've done to hide cabling up the wall.

My rears where on stands (Ive just taken my whole HC apart pending a move)

They routed the cable inside the stand so you didn't see it at all.

In a similar vein for Atmos speakers I had 'height' speaker with the cables hidden up the back of a pair of Ikea Gneby shelves

darrenhaken

Yes, there I would definitely pin or screw. Another ‘eco’ option would be to pin a suitably sized curved profile softwood moulding and paint to match wall.
What do you recommend for running the cable up the wall to the speakers?

Gazgum

What do you recommend for running the cable up the wall to the speakers?
The D profile mini-trunking as suggested by the others, but obviously only you can decide if you’re happy with how it looks.

Edit:Just checked and it is paintable if required.

Last edited:

WozzaB

I was trying to find a photo of it up the wall online but no joy!
Pic of mine in black, gives you a rough idea what it looks like

20210305_141234.jpg

Adziadam

Where do you bring it down to go to the AV Receiver?

I recently built Alcove cabinets for my living room so the receiver is in the cabinet the trunking runs along the wall and down into the cabinet.
I also use trunking for my bronze fx surrounds as well which run just above the skirting. I may paint the trunking at some point but it doesn't really bother me at all.

Attachments

• 20210305_171729.jpg
    20210305_171729.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 53

PAMUJU

Standard Member
Years when I reved the walls with wood I left an empty space of 10 cm below the end ...
I have many cables passed there, Surround, HDMI, power for the projector, internet ...

Of course this is a way out for those who are planning something similar ... The tailpiece comes out easily to change cables or put new ones ...

IMG_20210305_152355_402.jpg

Zombie Twin

I went the slightly more extreme route when laying cables for my Atmos setup.

1614970383584.png
1614970428133.png

And found under the floorboards, after over 30s years since the previous owner of the house had put them there....

1614970501516.png

All pages accessible, too!

Zombie Twin

Well you’ll be needing a much bigger stash than that for soundproofing; maybe a carefully worded ad in the wanted section? :D

Buying a load of issues of Razzle for soundproofing would be prohibitively expensive.

It's a big wad to blow... ;)

Zombie Twin

Imagine the installation time, could be a bit..........extended! :D
Flipping through the issues found under the floorboards, you do wonder how the previous generations coped. To use an appropriately cinematic bit of slang, a 'J-Arthur' was not forthcoming, I can tell you.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom