Home cinema question ???

vince9

Standard Member
I am in the process of converting my garage into a home cinema by using an HD projector. My one question is that the walls in the garage are currently a fresh white colour, Is it essential to have dark coloured walls when using a projector or will I be able to get away with them as they are ?

merlin41

Banned
I am in the process of converting my garage into a home cinema by using an HD projector. My one question is that the walls in the garage are currently a fresh white colour, Is it essential to have dark coloured walls when using a projector or will I be able to get away with them as they are ?
Hi vince9

Its not essential to have dark walls IMHO, I did mine a light colour because I wanted to use the room as a den as well as a cinema and dark walls would make it seem a lot smaller and closed in. To get a better overall cinema effect of course a rich dark colour is better. You will get some light reflection on the walls adjacent to the screen so you could consider doing that area a darker colour if you wanted to. But to be honest its not a problem to me and certainly doesn't spoil the viewing experience at all.
I think if I was just going to use it to watch films I would probably go for a dark colour for the effect though.

Terry

louishm

Novice Member
hi vince9, welcome to the forums:

imho if you are going to be using this room soley for a HC then go for the dark colours as you can see from many threads on the forums most peoples HC's are dark, i think you will notice a big difference. You will get too much light reflection on the light walls, You only have to look at your local cinema, the walls in there are never magnolia.

paul

inzaman

Hi Vince welcome to the forums, if you like you could take a mixture of the above two post really and go for a couple of light walls and a couple of dark walls. Thats what i did and it works well, have the screen wall as one of your dark walls and this will help to absorb some of the light; not all though.

vince9

Standard Member
Thanks for that advice. Ive bought the Optoma HD70 projector along with a Samsung HD850 upscaler to use along with the Pioneer XV DV313. Ive read nothing but good reviews on the projector and upscaler so hopefully it will look fairly impressive on an 84 inch screen. If anyone has any thoughts on a possible better projector or upscaler etc then let me know as this is all new stuff to me.

inzaman

vince9 said:
If anyone has any thoughts on a possible better projector or upscaler etc then let me know as this is all new stuff to me.
You would be better asking those questions in the specific forums as you will getter more relevant and quicker responses from there. This area is mainly for self build projects and help with those :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom