• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Home cinema question

davzzp

Standard Member
Bit of a random question but im looking to get a setup but as I have hardwood floors traditional home cinema is out of the question, and wireless is quite expensive & not very well reviewed, so im thinking of either some type of soundbar/sub or amp and speakers as i have room for some floor standing speakers either side of the tv, budget wise the cheaper the better, just wondered if anyone had a similar setup or could recommend one?
Thanks in advance

Ghostrider

Why do the wood floors preclude a traditional home cinema setup?

There are plenty of options out there for discretely running cables around skirtings etc. or more extreme channel in some wires, replaster and decorate - the latter is not as big a job as it may seem especially if you coincide it with a planned redecoration.

davzzp

Standard Member
Why do the wood floors preclude a traditional home cinema setup?

There are plenty of options out there for discretely running cables around skirtings etc. or more extreme channel in some wires, replaster and decorate - the latter is not as big a job as it may seem especially if you coincide it with a planned redecoration.

Cheers but because of the layout of the room, where the tv/sofa is running wires isnt an option, if i had carpets no probs, but the wires would have to run infront of the fireplace which is stone built with a cast iron stove, no skirting board to run the wires along & as im not looking to spend a lot of money the channeling of wires ect would be too expensive, and lastly i would be looking to move in a couple of years so just need a stop gap solution until then. after that i would be looking at a more expensive set up

Ghostrider

Given the constraints, foregoing the rear speakers and just using a decent pair of floor standers plus a centre speaker (and Sub if you're feeling flush) would probably be the best way forward - when you move you can just add the two surrounds and make the best use of your existing kit whereas a soundbar is likely to be a redundant putchase after you move.

davzzp

Standard Member
Given the constraints, foregoing the rear speakers and just using a decent pair of floor standers plus a centre speaker (and Sub if you're feeling flush) would probably be the best way forward - when you move you can just add the two surrounds and make the best use of your existing kit whereas a soundbar is likely to be a redundant putchase after you move.

cheers bud appreciate your help!!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hardwood Floor - will produce a fairly 'bright' sounding room unless you have some soft furnishings. A rug in front of the main speakers is a good option to help reduce some of the reflected sound the floor will throw up.

Trunking – some good options to consider from the likes of D-line - http://www.d-line.co.uk/trunking-in-the-home

Constraints – if trunking in cables for a 5.1 system is not an option I would go a step further than Ghostrider and stick with a 2.0 or 2.1 system.

Soundbar – can be a big improvement over TV speakers though in truth they don’t produce much of a ‘surround’ experience and Id stick with a pair of decent floor mount speakers if I had the choice.

Joe

davzzp

Standard Member
Hardwood Floor - will produce a fairly 'bright' sounding room unless you have some soft furnishings. A rug in front of the main speakers is a good option to help reduce some of the reflected sound the floor will throw up.

Trunking – some good options to consider from the likes of D-line - http://www.d-line.co.uk/trunking-in-the-home

Constraints – if trunking in cables for a 5.1 system is not an option I would go a step further than Ghostrider and stick with a 2.0 or 2.1 system.

Soundbar – can be a big improvement over TV speakers though in truth they don’t produce much of a ‘surround’ experience and Id stick with a pair of decent floor mount speakers if I had the choice.

Joe

Many thanks for your help, been having a look around and may go for something like this Onkyo HT-X22HDX 3D Ready Ultra Compact 2.1 Home Cinema System: Amazon.co.uk: TV
seems an ok price & fairly well reviewed, will do my usual searching to the nth degree and probably end up back where i started.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Have installed a few of those for customers and friends as a (big) step up from TV speakers – does a good job and for the money you’d be hard pushed to find a better option.

Joe

davzzp

Standard Member
Have installed a few of those for customers and friends as a (big) step up from TV speakers – does a good job and for the money you’d be hard pushed to find a better option.

Joe

many thanks for your help Joe its very much appreciated

Ghostrider

Joe

Joe, are some people that technologically inept that they really tave to pay to have something like that installed - damn, I think even my wife could figure that one out and I know my 8yr old nephew could.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
A whole raft of reasons why someone would prefer to have a system installed - they may simply not have the time to do it, they may prefer that someone who knows what he/she is doing sort it, they may hate technology or like the last system they may want a TV on a swing out bracket, the 'Sub' put in a previously closed off hearth with cables bored through the old chimney to an adjacent room to a central AV cabinet!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom