Home cinema projectors for computer usage?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Zack Attack, May 7, 2007.

1. Zack Attack

Zack Attack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    How do home cinema projectors compare to using a computer monitor for computer browsing? (internet browsing and photoshop mainly)

Some of the new projectors are 1080p native, and my current computer monitor has a resolution of 1400x1050. Am I right in saying the 1080p projector has more resolution? What is the horizontal resolution of a 1080p projector?

I will be spending alot of time infront of a computer soon to get my business going, and I was thinking that I may aswell make it a comfortable stint, get a really comfy chair, and a large projected image so I wouldn't have to stare at a monitor all day!

Do you projector owners find yourselves using your monitor or projector for general computer usage?

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    1080p is 1980x1080 so a very high resolution.

Projectors are fine for computer use,very bright,sharp and very easy on the eyes. But i wouldnt use my projector to browse the net I have a monitor for that allthough I have done inbetween playing games, i dont see a problem using a projector for pc use if u wanted to.

An lcd projector would be best, for there pin sharp image and being easy on the eyes.

3. Zack Attack

Zack Attack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    So why do u prefer to use your computer monitor instead of projector for computer usage? To save your bulb? If you weren't concerned about money for new bulbs, would you use your projector instead?

4. Bill

Bill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I use a panasonic ax100 for everything....
    its used every day without fail... usually at 4hr stints - either pc - surfing - movies...360 etc....

its the way to go

1280 * 720 suits me best for everything as its a native res for the panny

Bill

5. Zack Attack

Zack Attack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Bill, how does your computer look at 720p compared to your computer monitor? Have you used programs like photoshop which involve manipulating single pixels? 720p might be my only option for money at the mo.

6. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I have a 720p projector and I would be happy to use it instead of the monitor but im just as happy sitting next to a monitor, totally different for movies or games though.

LCD projectors have gaps between the pixals, panasonic models have a technology to combat this but it makes the image smoothed out which is good for movies but not as sharp on text, but I hear the newer ax100 is sharper then my older ae700, on this I would have to get withen a couple of feet or closer and look really hard to see the pixals, for a large screen that is impressive, u aint going to be sitting that close to a 80" plus screen.

1080p will have virtually invisable pixal structure even with your face to the screen.

IF you are going to be editing photos etc surely sitting close to a good monitor is going to give u a better view then sitting back from a large screen, but saying that Isometimes sit close to my screen which is head height when sitting and I properly could see well enough to do some photo editing.

7. Zack Attack

Zack Attack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    ok, so photo editing may be a little harder to see on a PJ than a monitor, but what's internet browsing like, reading text? Is the text easy to read and crystal clear, or do you have to squint a bit? This will be the main use of the projector.

8. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Na internet is fine text is very sharp if you have the pc set to the native resolution which is no problem.

9. Bill

Bill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I dont use any programs that manipulate single pixels... so I cant say

I use it from say 10 ft back - the image has no pixel structure and is sharp as its being run 1:1

For the money you wont beat it

Bill

10. Endeavour

Endeavour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you are going to use it for PC gaming remember that you would need a top graphics card to run at 1080p levels of resolution where as 720p is achievable on a wider range.

11. therealgiblet

therealgiblet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I use my ax100 and my W3J for compoota use and I love it...! You can't beat the image from that beast! Just make sure you set the resolution correctly i.e. 1280x720.