Home Cinema or Home Pretender?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BadAss, Feb 22, 2001.

1. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Ive been building my home cinema for over five years but wondered how much longer will it take to reach Cinema standards.

------------------
    Is he the one?

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Ive got:-

Yamaha 3090 amp
    Kef Model 2 Fronts
    Kef 200c centre
    Polk surrounds and effects
    Rel Strata II Sub
    Pioneer 925 LD player
    Pioneer 737 DVD

Saving up for Projector.

I recently went to the Cinema to watch Hanibal on a THX screen and I have to say the sound was spot on. So I still have some way to go on sound. Picture wise, without a projector theres no contest.

My question, how much would I have to spend on a projector to get anywhere near Cinema quality? Im thinking of getting the Barco 708 second hand. How would this stand up or should I wait longer?

------------------
    Is he the one?

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    About 300grand for a theatre grade DLP projector. Then you need 200grand worth of disc arrays and DTF tape drives to get the 1K res material for an entire film. Then software is a real bitch.

My advice is if you have the money now and want to buy now go get it now.

5. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion even a mid-range home cinema can be much better than a real cinema. Take the audio - almost all the cinemas I have been too don't sound as good a home system. They don't have it loud enough for a start. The exception would be the Odeon Leicester Square.

As for picture quality, I'm often disappointed by the quality of cinema presentations. Unless the print is new you usually get tons of distracting blemishes. A decent home projector showing a DVD is far better, surely?

You may have gathered I'm not a big fan of real cinemas any more - I used to go often but now I hardly ever go. Once I get a projector I doubt I will go to the cinema ever again!

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236

I agree entirely in principle with everything you say.
    But you are onto a loser trying to replicate even a bad print in a bad cinema. The two scenarios home/cinema are really chalk and cheese. There are entire orders of magnitude difference in things like intensity scale colour reproduction display rate the list is significantly long and in favour of the film version. With audio you can pretty much guarantee you will get a better experience in a well set-up moderately capable home cinema enviroment.

HoweverI totally agree that these days i think twice about going to the cinema over viewing a dvd unless its a film I'm madly keen to see (even then recently 9 times out of 10 I plump for a disc) The thought of sitting is some badly put-together flea-pit with a bad print bad sound and worst of all bad audience gets my blood up.

Although I am toying with the idea of getting a personal mobile phone pacifier!

7. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    My wife took me to the UCI on tuesday to see hannibal ( I know - I know!) for my birthday thinking because i have my own cinema i would love to go to a real one!. I had to be polite to her but.... F***ing crap, People go on about black levels, this must be because they have been watching to much CRT television. Blacks were grey, the picture didn't reach the sides!. The colours were washed out. But the print was very clean with no damage showing (pops etc). The sound wasn't very loud (though it was very clear). I could put up with all of the above if only the t**t behind me would have stopped trying to give me a force-feed-back type ride in my seat. In the end i just moved seats. But the worse offence was the twenty odd minutes of adverts! They stated the film started at six but by six twentytwo the film had not started, i actually forgot what film was on!. Then this women decided to play with her phone, she soon got the message when people started throwing popcorn at her and her boyfriend (thanks go to the four teenage lads two rows back!). I will still go to big films etc and just be tolerant to others because most of the time i think they are just enjoying themselves, not realising they are getting up peoples noses. Sometimes you cannot beat mass group veiwing ie laughing/gasps/screams! (and thats just getting to your seat)...Paul

------------------
    I'am not drinking anymore....but i'am not drinking any less