1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home cinema or hifi amp ???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sowhatsg, Jan 31, 2005.

1. sowhatsg

sowhatsg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    I just bought a new pair of Boston VR2 and am now looking at buying a new amplifier. My current hifi set up is Luxman L225 (1987), CD Rotel RCD930AX and Allison LC speakers(1987 vintage also).
    With the appearance of AV amps, I'm hesitating : buy a 5.1 amp, use my Allison as rear speakers and possibly add a central front speaker later. That's good option for home cinema, but I would hate to sacrifice hifi quality just to better enjoy my DVDs. I'm sure it's possible, but my understanding is that you need to spend quite a bit to get an AV amp that matches good quality hifi amp.
    I don't have a clue on how better the XXIst century amps are compared to my jurassic L225....
    My questions are :
    - for a pure hifi set up, what are the recommended amps for the Boston VR2. I heard NAD (e.g. C320 BEE) or Denon would a good match. I listen to mostly jazz, rock and some classical. budget around 300 pounds
    - for a home cinema setup, budget would certailnly be higher if I add a central speaker. But what would it be for a good balance between hifi and home cinema at, say 400 or less for the amp alone?
    Any other comment, experience appreciated
    :lease: