We moved into our new house a week last Wednesday and have been planning what has been started for a while before it all went through. This is my first ever attempt at a project anything like this scale, and am hopeful it will turn out okay! My apologies for picture quality but light is not good in the room and the camera being off my 2MP phone cant really deal with the low light conditions too well. The idea is to recess the TV in a false partition above the fire (heavily fire retarded to prevent any temperature problems). The partition will go from floor to ceiling with a cavity above the TV for the centre speaker. Depending on temperatures when the surround is built - I have a small fan unit which may be installed at the bottom of the tv recess to push rising hot air away from the TV recess itself and an extraction fan in the top of the recess to pull heat away from the tv and through 2 side vents in the top of the partition. I started out removing the old fire surround (mantlepiece) exposing only the marble effect fireplace - this will be remaining to act as a back drop for the fire recess and a step at the bottom (retaining the fireplace feel). http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/cowlio/DSC00190.jpg Next came the paper stripping and removing the dado rails from around the room - paper came off easy enough then steamed the thin layer still attached to the walls pretty quickly. http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/cowlio/DSC00199.jpg The LCD wall mount arrived after starting the stripping - wish I could have afforded a better (perhaps swingarm) bracket but at £32 from EBay I couldnt resist (finances are very very tight following the move) but the bracket is every bit strong enough and rated for up to 63". With the bracket installed using some replacement bolts (to be sure) - turned out my measurements from plan were just 2mm out on the TV height (good for me!), meaning no serious plan alterations. http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/cowlio/DSC00196.jpg We did find a hidden window into the kitchen which had been boarded up and plastered over - toyed with the idea of making it a feature but quickly decided not to! http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/cowlio/DSC00213.jpg Now the roof - seriously vile (what we thought was artex) arrangement - quite how anybody would intentionally do this to a ceiling is beyond me. Turns out to be plaster and not artex. Rock solid and immovable. http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/cowlio/DSC00195.jpg http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/cowlio/DSC00194.jpg Decision was taken to get the ceiling down and re-board it. This way all the electrics could be sorted from downstairs and no upheaval of upstairs to get floorboards up and the like. Moved all the furniture into the adjacent dining area and covered wih dust covers. Blocked off the arches with sheets and prayed for the best. The trusty shovel method worked a treat. I think my Father enjoyed this part hehe judging by the look on his face - kind of sadistic look The 3 hour clean up operation afterwards was not a treat however! http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/cowlio/DSC00202.jpg http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/cowlio/DSC00203.jpg Got the carpet up and knocked out the coving next, the top of the plaster on the walls under the coving was incredibly soft - broke away in an almost perfect line under the coving. Not a problem just get it filled and skimmed later. Removed the exisiting wall lights and ceiling lights (later sttached to 13amp plugs and are now my night lights). With the roof down - the electrics looked like Tom and Jerry had had a go - but then most of it had probably never been touched since the 60's when the house was built. http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/cowlio/DSC00212.jpg Difficult to see exactly but it was a proper mess - dodgy connector boxes (no tops on, bare earth wires everywhere). Have replaced most of the junction blocks and sheathed the earth wires and will be trimming down on alot of the excess cable. Wired up the 6 roof spotlights into their own circuit and ran a seperate switch power lead down the wall to the dimmer locations. Then did the same for the wall light locations. 2 of the wall lights need to be moved into a central position so chiselled the plaster away and mounted some trunking inside the wall then filled the gaps around and smoothed over. Speaker cables installed in the same way, front and back of the room. Next day or so gonna be mainly sanding the walls down - get them nice and smooth ready for the lining paper. Plasterboards are due to go up Wednesday night then the plastering finished off on Thursday so the room will start to take shape... I hope 3 solid days work so far - I get the feeling there a few more to come! Thanks for looking!