Question home cinema - multi-room - speaker set-up

baaigones

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was looking for information on receivers/speakers/multi-roomsystems whan I came across this forum and I was quite impressed with the knowledge around here so I’d like to ask a few questions (hopefully in the right part of the forum, feel free to move it if I’m wrong). I’ve been looking for the answers myself here but I’m afraid I’m a newbie on good sound (and the fact that English isn’t my language isn’t a great help neither).

So the situation is this : We’re rebuilding our entire ground floor (well, not entirely, unfortunately certain walls can’t be teared down which gives serious limitations) and I would like 1) good sound in our television-area (our ‘zithoek’, in Dutch) and 2) decent sound on the entire ground floor, coming from one central ‘music-center’. Extra limitation is the budget since my wife decided on the new tiles/kitchen/roof/terrace so I’m left with what’s left of the money. I should be able to collect around 2.000 € for everything (wiring not included, that’s part of the budget for the electrician I told my wife).

Looking around I came across the Denon AVR X2200W (available at 499 € at this moment) to use as the ‘music center’. This one has two zones, and I’d use one zone entirely for the tv-area. The second zone I’d link to an artsound svc4 (around 150 €) to create extra music zones (terrace = ‘not on the map, but above the ‘keuken’ and ‘zithoek’, around 8 mtr by 7 mtr), kitchen (=’keuken’, livingroom =’leefruimte’) which can all be controlled manually (but all have the same music input). For speakers I thought about the B&W CCM362 (around 220 € a pair), putting 2 pair in every zone (except the terrace, where 1 pair should be enough to avoid problems with the neighbours). That would make a total of 2.200 €, so close enough to the budget.

Now the questions :

1. Is this a decent set-up ? I’m not looking for the ultimate sound, but I’m looking for a good price/quality mix.

2. Where would be the best place to put my speakers with those three strange-shaped rooms ?
    1. I’m afraid the tv-area has quite a low ceiling (220 cm) and a difficult shape to get good (surround) sound. The tv-would be hung at the kitchenwall, facing the giant couch (Yes, the couch is really that big).

2. The kitchen has a pitched roof (starting from 300 cm at the terrace to a height of 420 cm at the side of the livingarea).

3. The living area has a more normal height (around 260 cm ) but also has a difficult shape, the grey parts on the picture are walls/stairs and can’t be moved but could make the sound terrible. (maybe I should mention that the sound in kitchen and living-area would be mainly background-music).
  3. What’s the best way to connect the tv to the receiver ? Extra obstacle, my wife doesn’t want the digicorder (the thing connected to the tv to be able to watch and record shows) to be hung at the wall, so I was thinking about placing it in a closed cabinet, next to the giant couch, together with the Denon AVR X2200W. I consider buying a Logitech Harmony Elite (not part of the music-budget) to control all of this with one remote. Is this possible, and if so, what’s the best way. Or are there better/easier/cheaper options to do this ?
Any help would be appreciated, and if there are things I need to clarify, just ask.

Extra question : putting the plan of the ground floor as an image doesn’t seem to work, the plan as a pdf-attachment did work. Any tips for fixing this ?

plan-teksten-page-001_zpsddirlwih.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• plan-teksten.pdf
    58.2 KB · Views: 29
  • plan-teksten.pdf
    58.2 KB · Views: 27
Sounds like a decent system for the budget - however, if you're going for a Denon Receiver - have you considered using HEOS wireless speakers? (I haven't looked at the spec of the X220W but most new Denon amps are HEOS ready)

They would make installation much easier and give far more flexibility around what music is playing in what room (if you have a 2-zone receiver and 3 rooms - it is only possible to play 2 different sources - so any rooms connected to Zone 2 will play the same music).

Nate

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom