Home cinema mk2: living room edition

I think the system looks amazing. Why no center speaker?

Thanks! Regarding the lack of centre: I'm hoping to pick that up from Rich next month along with the S150Ts.

As to the next upgrade, I'm hoping this will do for a while! AV is going to have to play second fiddle to house renovation for a bit.

On the subject of house renovation, the new fireplace was finally installed today, which I'm very pleased with!

Attachments

• 20180925_210030.jpg
    20180925_210030.jpg
    877.2 KB · Views: 452
I had a play yesterday with the V12's positioning and, as expected, it sounds better next to the cabinet than it does in the rear left corner.

Only snag is, the Mrs prefers it hidden... (and so do I truth be told).

Necessity being the mother of invention, it occurred to me - and I'm not sure why the penny hadn't dropped earlier - that the AV cabinet could make a perfect housing for the V12 :)

The cabinet is split into three, and each of the three sections has a removable shelf and removable back panel. The V12 would fit comfortably inside one of the sections. Given that the cabinet doors are slatted, I think this might just work. I don't think the slats will present a problem provided the driver is set back a bit (it didn't for this monster IB sub). The cabinet is quite heavy too, so I don't expect it would rattle much under normal use, and any rattles could be dealt with.

@Seriously Ltd - I see you've done similar with your X10s. Did you surround them with any insulation?

Aside from it sounding better, one very significant benefit of putting the V12 at the front is that I ran dual sub outputs to a wall plate behind the MLP sofa, which are now both freed up ... I can see a near field sub build somewhere in my future :D (so much for not thinking about upgrading for a while!)

Attachments

• 20180918_103342 (1).jpg
    20180918_103342 (1).jpg
    923.8 KB · Views: 432
25D3D55D-3DBE-4D8C-A5D2-E8FF8B6765CB.jpeg
I had a play yesterday with the V12's positioning and, as expected, it sounds better next to the cabinet than it does in the rear left corner.

Only snag is, the Mrs prefers it hidden... (and so do I truth be told).

Necessity being the mother of invention, it occurred to me - and I'm not sure why the penny hadn't dropped earlier - that the AV cabinet could make a perfect housing for the V12 :)

The cabinet is split into three, and each of the three sections has a removable shelf and removable back panel. The V12 would fit comfortably inside one of the sections. Given that the cabinet doors are slatted, I think this might just work. I don't think the slats will present a problem provided the driver is set back a bit (it didn't for this monster IB sub). The cabinet is quite heavy too, so I don't expect it would rattle much under normal use, and any rattles could be dealt with.

@Seriously Ltd - I see you've done similar with your X10s. Did you surround them with any insulation?

Aside from it sounding better, one very significant benefit of putting the V12 at the front is that I ran dual sub outputs to a wall plate behind the MLP sofa, which are now both freed up ... I can see a near field sub build somewhere in my future :D (so much for not thinking about upgrading for a while!)
Hi Doug,

We have done this with many installations. We fill the cabinet space around the subwoofer with Rockwool. Just make sure the cabinet doesn’t rattle. The attached image of a recently completed install has 2 x MK X10’s located within the cabinet as well as an MK IW300 centre speaker and all of the processing and amplification.

View attachment 1066212
Hi Doug,

We have done this with many installations. We fill the cabinet space around the subwoofer with Rockwool. Just make sure the cabinet doesn’t rattle. The attached image of a recently completed install has 2 x MK X10’s located within the cabinet as well as an MK IW300 centre speaker and all of the processing and amplification.

Ah yes, I forgot there were subs in the cabinet for that installation. I recall saying, and still think, that's one of the nicest installations I've seen.

Great, thanks for the advice. I was thinking Rockwool so that confirms it.

Ah yes, I forgot there were subs in the cabinet for that installation. I recall saying, and still think, that's one of the nicest installations I've seen.

Great, thanks for the advice. I was thinking Rockwool so that confirms it.
Thanks for the kind words Doug.
Yes that installation is pretty special and sounds spectacular. What it does hihjliuis that you can have a high performance no compromise cinema/music system within a living space as does your room.

It's working a treat :D

I'll stick the Rockwool in on the weekend. No obvious nasty noises so far though!

Only, expected, problem is it's slightly visible through the slats. That will be easily sorted with a bit of carefully placed black AT fabric, especially once the Rockwool blocks the light from behind.

Attachments

• 20180926_205441.jpg
    20180926_205441.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 455
  • 20180926_204548.jpg
    20180926_204548.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 467
V12 now completely hidden, and it sounds great!

I downloaded the Audyssey app on the weekend and set it up today, cutting off room correction at 250Hz. Very happy with the results. Annoyingly, Audyssey keeps setting the crossover for the 950s at 150Hz due to a 5dB or so dip just above around 100Hz. I'll have to try to resolve that...

Attachments

• 20181001_115229.jpg
    20181001_115229.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 422
  • 20181001_115348.jpg
    20181001_115348.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 390
Love it, have been looking at MP950 installs for a while and had missed yours!

Can I ask what TV mount you used as it seems very much in line with what I want/need!

Thanks

Wow, I don't even recognise that room since I saw it! Looking great :)

Thanks! It's a different house/room so that's why you don't recognise it:rotfl:

I haven't done much to the room since the last pictures. The next change is to order an MP950 centre, which I really need - using a phantom centre is definitely not to my liking, especially with the L/R mounted slightly above ear level. I'm just about to order that from @Seriously Ltd

The next big job is to soundproof the alcoves. Since installing the system I've become acutely aware of how much the neighbours must be able to hear if I turn it up. So I figure the best way to deal with that is to soundproof the alcoves and add some Rockwool into the ceiling void. That should allow me to turn it up a bit more :) Current plan for the soundproofing is:
  • 10mm gap from wall
  • 63mm stud frame surrounded by an isolation strip, affixed to sides and ceiling (I don't want to drill through the parquet so want to avoid screwing it to the floor)
  • fill frame with 50mm Rockwool
  • 15mm Gyproc soundbloc leaving a 5mm gap all around
  • Green Glue
  • 15mm Gyproc Soundbloc
  • Acoustic sealant for the 5mm gap
  • Plaster
All in, I'll only lose just over 10cm from the alcove depth, which shouldn't be noticeable. I reckon it should come to £500ish.

If anyone spots any issues with that soundproofing plan please do let me know! The obvious issue is potential flanking through the fireplace, but there's not much I can do about it. It will help that it's a heavy iron fitted fireplace.

Attachments

• 20181106_155050.jpg
    20181106_155050.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 482

Can I ask what TV mount you used as it seems very much in line with what I want/need!

Thanks

Thanks! The mount is a Peerless SLW410. I'm very happy with it - it's about as slim as it's possible to get.

Attachments

• 20181106_155106.jpg
    20181106_155106.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 473

Thanks

Alright trouble? Long time no see :D

I went and had a demo of the MP950s (well.. IW950s) at Gecko. Very impressive sound from a smallish box.

You stalk me everywhere :D

I've been looking at IW95, 85, MP950, MP7... can't decide what to do!

Frustrating issue that new house is built and we didn't get in early enough to have cable runs put in so trying to balance out costs of speakers and having to get it installed as i'm not entirely confident at routing speaker cables through walls/ceilings!

Did you move a 2nd time? Did you forget I bought a HiFi rack from you? ;)

Oh yea, sorry! I forgot about that. In that case you have seen the room! Yea, it's completely different now. We essentially gutted the room and started from scratch. Much better now it has a big TV and speakers, and no horrible 70s wallpaper :D

I used this in my alcoves
https://www.soundproofingstore.co.uk/store/-p52219203

It's a bit pricey and I don't know how good it is yety but weighs and looks the business. Might save you some space too.

I was tempted to go with that actually. I figure the stud frame will provide slightly better soundproofing though, and I'm not too fussed about losing 10cm. Funnily enough, the design I mentioned is based on the same company's resilient channel design, although I swap the resilient channel for Green Glue and don't use the tecsound.

The thing I've yet to work out is what to do about plug sockets. Any thoughts?

( @adam-burnley probably knows ...)

Have and need.
If aesthetics are not important, surface mounted boxes are the most effective.

Didn't work for me though, so I used (so called) acoustic dry wall boxes wrapped in putty, and gaps filled with acoustic sealant.

Cable fed in 20mm conduit through the rockwool and double plasterboard etc., still managed to get green glue on the cable though :rolleyes:

If aesthetics are not important, surface mounted boxes are the most effective.

Didn't work for me though, so I used (so called) acoustic dry wall boxes wrapped in putty, and gaps filled with acoustic sealant.

Cable fed in 20mm conduit through the rockwool and double plasterboard etc., still managed to get green glue on the cable though :rolleyes:
Aesthetics are hugely important so I'll have to go the box route. Seems simple enough in theory I guess. What putty did you use?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom