Home cinema kit

mandm

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am building a new living/cinema area and have limited budget to blow on AV kit.

After usual suspects, A Project and Projector screen, Amp, and decent set of surround sound subwoofer/speaker.

I am allocating £1800 for above, could I get a decent kit or need to stretch a bit.

I would appreciate your input with your recommendations/shopping list.

Cheers.

Size of room? Layout? Any restrictions on size of speakers etc?
Atmos or 5.1 or something else? 4k?
Does it have to be new or would you consider second hand?
You should be able to get a good entry level system for your budget so a lot will depend on your expectations etc.
The best advice is to go look and demo a few to see which you like the best.

Could you give a few more details to give us an idea of what you're looking for?

What kind of screen (fixed, pulldown, motorised) and what size?
Does your budget include sources/players (BluRay player etc) or do you already have that sorted?

5.1? Or are you interested in Dolby Atmos which would mean more speakers?
(Oops looks like PSM1 beat me to it!)

Size of room? Layout? Any restrictions on size of speakers etc?
Atmos or 5.1 or something else? 4k?
Does it have to be new or would you consider second hand?
You should be able to get a good entry level system for your budget so a lot will depend on your expectations etc.
The best advice is to go look and demo a few to see which you like the best.

Size of the room 6Mx4M
Layout - 16:9
No restrictions on size of speakers
Atmos or 5.1.2
new or second hand
Hope above helps

Could you give a few more details to give us an idea of what you're looking for?

What kind of screen (fixed, pulldown, motorised) and what size?
Does your budget include sources/players (BluRay player etc) or do you already have that sorted?

5.1? Or are you interested in Dolby Atmos which would mean more speakers?
(Oops looks like PSM1 beat me to it!)

screen - motorised
If integrated BluRay player then its fine if not i can source separately.
Dolby Atmos or 5.1.2
Hope above helps
cheers

One important factor for amp, must have two HDMI out, one for the screen and other for TV.

Not sure a motorised screen is going to fit in with your budget to be honest.

I'm biased because I like Pioneer receivers, but the VSX 1132 is worth considering, it's around £350.

A mimimum price for a 1080p projector would be around £500, and motorised screens start at about £100 but can cost a fair bit more depending on size and quality.

The speakers are going to eat a fair chunk of the budget, but you can probably get a package with a receiver.

I'll try to post more tomorrow but hopefully this gives you something to think about as a starting point.

I'm biased because I like Pioneer receivers, but the VSX 1132 is worth considering, it's around £350.

A mimimum price for a 1080p projector would be around £500, and motorised screens start at about £100 but can cost a fair bit more depending on size and quality.

The speakers are going to eat a fair chunk of the budget, but you can probably get a package with a receiver.

I'll try to post more tomorrow but hopefully this gives you something to think about as a starting point.
Thanks, i am not overly concerned with the make as long as quality is not compromised.
The screen size 2M or above would be suitbale for the size of the living room
Yep would not mind package (speakers/receiver).

Budget - you can easily spend two to three times the indicated budget on a system to work in your room.

Budget - concentrate on getting a good 5.1 system, wire for 5.12 or similar, and 'plan' to grow the system as funds allow.

Sources - what are you looking to cater for?

TV - where does that fit in the room plan?

Living/Cinema Area - are you able to achieve a speaker layout close to the recommendations?

Speaker Setup Guides

Second Hand - is potentially worth considering for some items.

Joe

Budget - you can easily spend two to three times the indicated budget on a system to work in your room.

Budget - concentrate on getting a good 5.1 system, wire for 5.12 or similar, and 'plan' to grow the system as funds allow.

Sources - what are you looking to cater for?

TV - where does that fit in the room plan?

Living/Cinema Area - are you able to achieve a speaker layout close to the recommendations?

Speaker Setup Guides

Second Hand - is potentially worth considering for some items.

Joe
Thanks Joe for your input, specially the guide. I agree wiht you its easy to get carried away hence i set the budget first and see what is possible within the budget. I have small contengency but being a new build am sure that will be gone by the time i arrived at this stage.

Its a new build so its possible to get not only the the speaker layout but the ccomplete layout close to the recommendations.

TV will be wall mounted and the motorised screen will be celing mounted.

Sources - what are you looking to cater for, i am not sure if i understood that?

Are you suggesting that there is considerable difference in price between 5.1 ane 5.1.2?
I have old Bose speakers, bought about 7 yers ago (5.1 with subwoofer) was not sure if i could utilsie those?

Cheers

New Build - budget, I have heard of those :)

Sources - a lot of folk are moving to UHD (4K) Sources so you may need to plan around signal compatibility.

TV+Projector - optimum positioning of your loudspeakers can become tricky.

More channels - the more channels of amplification/loudspeakers you have for a fixed budget the less you are spending per channel!

Joe

New Build - budget, I have heard of those :)

Sources - a lot of folk are moving to UHD (4K) Sources so you may need to plan around signal compatibility.

TV+Projector - optimum positioning of your loudspeakers can become tricky.

More channels - the more channels of amplification/loudspeakers you have for a fixed budget the less you are spending per channel!

Joe

optimum positioning of your loudspeakers can become tricky, Why? Possible to explain/pointers

Appreciate on your input on below

Are you suggesting that there is considerable difference in price between 5.1 ane 5.1.2?
I have old Bose speakers, bought about 7 yers ago (5.1 with subwoofer) was not sure if i could utilsie those?

Because if you're TV and projector screen aren't directly in the same place then the speaker distances to main listening position will be different.

Likewise ensuring the screen won't cover any of the speakers will it drops down.

Because if you're TV and projector screen aren't directly in the same place then the speaker distances to main listening position will be different.

Likewise ensuring the screen won't cover any of the speakers will it drops down.

Thanks, understand if TV and projector screen aren't directly in the same place, but being a new build would i not be able to achieve that?

I guess its a good point ensuring that front speakers are not coverred by the screen.

Of course. As long as the wife doesn't disagree.

You can buy acoustically transparent screens which get around the covering the speaker issue but the costs go up.
You may want to look at screen options in terms of whether it is tab tensioned etc. since cheaper screens can have issues with the edges curling and/or moving in drafts etc. I believe.
5.1.2 is not a lot more than 5.1 as only an additional 2 speakers as such but you have quite a tight budget already so to add more items to it means less to spend on the other ones which can have a impact on the overall quality of the system at the end.
The Bose you have should be able to be used but Bose do not have the best performance so you may be better selling them on and using the additional funds towards your new system.

Speaker positioning - use the Dolby guide to 'place' your Front LCR Loudspeakers on a drawing then overlay the ideal position for your TV and Projected image, you will find they all end up landing atop of each other so the trick now is to find the best compromise to suit your requirements.

Channel use - the vast majority of most TV and Movie sound is carried by the Centre and Front LR Channels, any dilution of the quality of those to enable you to add addition 'surround/effects/immersive' channels can have a big effect on key areas such as dialogue.

Room - don't forget the room has a big impact on what you hear too.

BOSE - may be an option, which system do you have?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom