Home Cinema in Small Room

SoundsGoodMate

Novice Member
I’m looking to setup a home cinema of some description but the room is very narrow - the TV and sofa are both against their respective walls and are only about 2m apart.

I wouldn’t be able to get speakers behind me due to the wall so don’t think I’m wanting surround - I believe that in a small room, it would sound better without anyway.

The ceiling is around 2.4m high, would Atmos work?
I have room either side of the 55 inch TV for speakers. The centre channel would have to go above the TV (which is at the perfect eye height) as there is no room underneath the TV.
What speaker setup would you recommend for this kind of room? I am not wanting to spend too much so think a budget of around £500 would do. I already have a subwoofer.

razy60

I’m looking to setup a home cinema of some description but the room is very narrow - the TV and sofa are both against their respective walls and are only about 2m apart.

I wouldn’t be able to get speakers behind me due to the wall so don’t think I’m wanting surround - I believe that in a small room, it would sound better without anyway.

The ceiling is around 2.4m high, would Atmos work?
I have room either side of the 55 inch TV for speakers. The centre channel would have to go above the TV (which is at the perfect eye height) as there is no room underneath the TV.
What speaker setup would you recommend for this kind of room? I am not wanting to spend too much so think a budget of around £500 would do. I already have a subwoofer.
Given your requirements I'd look into a soundbar a half decent one would give most of what you need.
Something like.

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

Does your budget include an AV amp as well as speakers? £500 is pushing it a bit if that's the case and the used market, certainly for speakers, may be the place to look.

Even is such a small room a 5.1.2 system is possible. I wouldn't bother with an Atmos layout if you are going to have no surrounds. I would however start off with the amp and perhaps three front speakers in the first instance and buy surrounds and Atmos when funds allow. The Atmos speakers can easily be accomplished for under £100 with a pair of CA Minx from Richer Sounds.

For the front speakers the KEF T Serie speakers will sit flush on the wall and give you a good sound experience and won't intrude into the room. Otherwise look for used lifestyle speakers such as the KEF Eggs or B&W M1. It would be possible to use more KEF T Serie at the side for surrounds or the MA Bronze FX speakers on the rear wall.

kef T101 (Pair) And KEF T101C (Center) | eBay

Cambridge Audio Minx MIN12 White | Single Speaker | Richer Sounds

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
We have plenty of members with small rooms. If you don´t like the idea of large speakers hanging around on wall, then look some satellite systems. You can example mount the surround speakers higher up and aim them. Plenty of options. Or 3.1.

22bcb057-fb0c-452e-97ac-992798f9797c-jpeg.1405348

And narrow dedicated room, although with a space behind seat but still may give you some ideas.

SoundsGoodMate

Novice Member
Welcome to the Forum.

Does your budget include an AV amp as well as speakers? £500 is pushing it a bit if that's the case and the used market, certainly for speakers, may be the place to look.

Even is such a small room a 5.1.2 system is possible. I wouldn't bother with an Atmos layout if you are going to have no surrounds. I would however start off with the amp and perhaps three front speakers in the first instance and buy surrounds and Atmos when funds allow. The Atmos speakers can easily be accomplished for under £100 with a pair of CA Minx from Richer Sounds.

For the front speakers the KEF T Serie speakers will sit flush on the wall and give you a good sound experience and won't intrude into the room. Otherwise look for used lifestyle speakers such as the KEF Eggs or B&W M1. It would be possible to use more KEF T Serie at the side for surrounds or the MA Bronze FX speakers on the rear wall.

kef T101 (Pair) And KEF T101C (Center) | eBay

Cambridge Audio Minx MIN12 White | Single Speaker | Richer Sounds

Thanks for your help! I found this deal for the Monitor Audio Bronze FX, it seems like a bargain? However, would they be OK if they were only about 30cm from the back of my head?

The budget doesn’t include the amp. I need one which supports eARC as I have a 4K 120Hz TV and no receivers currently seem to have HDMI 2.1 for a decent price.

In terms of the front speakers, I don’t mind if they encroach into the room if they’ll offer better sound. It’s hard to find universally good speakers as audio is subjective and for every good review I’ll always find some bad ones which make me doubt them. Are there any popular conventional front & centre speakers that you know of? I like the look of the MA Bronze 50 which would match the rears.

gibbsy

That is a good deal. You can place those speakers quite close to you as they are firing the audio along the wall, not directly at you. The Bronze as fronts would also work for you and they do seem to suit a number of AV amps.

As for 2.1 support then the new generation have it onboard although there is some concern about the chips being used as not being fully supportive. You only really need 2.1 if you are a gamer and there are work arounds involving eARC from the TV back the receiver. 8K support is really not needed, it's doubtful you will ever see 8K from streaming services and certainly not from terrestrial TV in the near future.

The will be looking at something like the Denon AVR X2700 as the entry point for good audio with a maximum speaker arrangement of 7.1 or 5.1.2.

SoundsGoodMate

Novice Member
That is a good deal. You can place those speakers quite close to you as they are firing the audio along the wall, not directly at you. The Bronze as fronts would also work for you and they do seem to suit a number of AV amps.

As for 2.1 support then the new generation have it onboard although there is some concern about the chips being used as not being fully supportive. You only really need 2.1 if you are a gamer and there are work arounds involving eARC from the TV back the receiver. 8K support is really not needed, it's doubtful you will ever see 8K from streaming services and certainly not from terrestrial TV in the near future.

The will be looking at something like the Denon AVR X2700 as the entry point for good audio with a maximum speaker arrangement of 7.1 or 5.1.2.

You are so knowledgable. If I was to throw the budget out of the window, are the KEF LS50 speakers good? I can get a pair for £450 used and they seem to be highly rated. I figure I will only get 2 speakers and a receiver (probably Denon X2700H as you say).

gibbsy

You are so knowledgable. If I was to throw the budget out of the window, are the KEF LS50 speakers good? I can get a pair for £450 used and they seem to be highly rated. I figure I will only get 2 speakers and a receiver (probably Denon X2700H as you say).
Yes, very good speakers. I auditioned them against the KEF R300s several years ago but plumped for the R300s. The LS50s are very good for music but you will need a sub as well to fill in the bottom end.

password1

Given the small room, you should consider smaller speakers. Large bookshelves and floorstanders will need space, especially if rear ported.

A satellites based system from Canton or Elac would be better than the Cambridge Audio Minx satellites system.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom