Quantcast

Home Cinema in a shed?

HeavenlyWarrior

We have a shed at the end of the garden. We're talking 50 feet away from the house.

I've bought a projector and have been told that it's not suitable for the house due to lack of space so I'm left with the shed. We have no attic, garage or basement. I'm OK with this because I want to make it into an outside office for Summer anyway. Problem is - I have no idea about setting up power to a shed, I can set up everything when I get power, AV stuff, office stuff, make it a little smart home as well etc.

Does anyone have any experience with setting up a home cinema in a room that is not in the actual house? If so, how did you achieve it? Literally any suggestion is welcome.

Ormy

Very tricky, depending on how well built the shed is (sealed from the elements?), condensation could kill a projector and other electronics rather quickly.

Wil S

There's a few of these builds on here- the summerhouse cinema as an example. Depends how much you want to spend really. If it's just a place for a projector and screen, then power is pretty much all you need to add to your shed (with respect of the condensation and waterproofing above). Given the statement in your post, I suggest you contact a couple of different sparkies to get a recommendation for extending power from your house to your shed... likely to be armoured cable to a new sub Distribution Board in the shed.

Then you can pretty much spend as much money as you can think of sound proofing/ insulating/ heating and cooling etc...

You'll need a bit more info on 'the shed' but plenty of people have garden offices, so that can be your starting point...

G/L

HeavenlyWarrior

Very tricky, depending on how well built the shed is (sealed from the elements?), condensation could kill a projector and other electronics rather quickly.
The thought of a wet shed did occur to me, which leads me to two options: bringing the projector into the shed on the odd summer nights when we wanted to watch a movie (maybe with a tripod screen), or, spending money on waterproofing.

As we rent, I think the second option may not be possible but the shed is a rather heavy duty one really with double glazed doors. Insulation in the summer heat will not be an issue, it's even warm in there during winter.

Ormy

...bringing the projector into the shed on the odd summer nights when we wanted to watch a movie (maybe with a tripod screen)...
If you're willing to cart all the electronics (PJ, screen, speakers, everything) into the shed temporarily for every movie and out again straight after you'd be fine regarding condensation and could even possibly get away with a heavy duty 50ft extension lead + RCD for safety.

John7

Waterproofing is possibly not an issue. However, most "sheds" will have damp air because they are not suitably insulated and importantly, heated. The damp air will not be good for most electronics!

Wil S

Let's face it- what you really need is the other half to get over it ;)

We went back-and-forward for ages and eventually I won. I actually overheard her telling one of her mates how awesome it is to have a 120in screen in the TV room the other day. :thumbsup:

I managed not to say 'I told you so'...

dazap

Take a look at mine
had no probs with any damp and pj and all other items all going strong

MSW

Distinguished Member
What you should do is run a 32amp cable from the consumer unit to a point outside the house, then run armoured cable from said point to a garage unit fixed inside the shed.

However, as you rent the above is probably not worth it and suggest you would need an electrician to do the work and it is likely to be quite expensive.

As per suggestion above, running an extension cable from the house sounds the best, easiest, quickest and cheapest option.

Top Bottom