Home cinema in a box or seperates - getting confused

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by al2813, Feb 9, 2014.

1. al2813

al2813

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    6 years ago when the first child was born I got rid of my separate components and was pretty much left without a hifi system. A small Logitech dock was enough to play a bit of music of my iPod, and in any case there was hardly any time to listen to music. Now things are starting to change: kids are still small but start listening to music, I have a large flat screen TV setup with sat full HD. Time to buy again something at least half decent.

I am looking for a setup that will double up for home cinema and audio. I have to majour constraints:
    - Not a lot of space. I have already quite a few components around my TV cabinet: 2 STBs (one sat and another from my telco), one apple TV for streaming content and bluray player. Going for a full size AV setup will not be possible as I will not be able to fit the receiver. I also don't want a 5.1 setup for now - again don't want to clutter the place too much with the kids still running around....:)

I started looking as a basis in a home cinema in a box setup and have zoomed on two options:
    Philips HTB9245 (I live in Belgium, don't think this one is selling in the UK)
    Harman Kardon BDS 477W

Both are mentioned as having pretty good sound, are compact (I can eliminate my current BD so I keep the same number of components), and have the necessary features for my needs. I am however still debating whether I should not get a AV receiver (anyone knows a good slim one - full size will not fit in!?) and start with 2 speakers and a sub woofer?

I can't make up my mind, so any advice is welcome. I look for:

- Great sound - film AND music
    - All latest AV features and connectivity - upscaling to 4k for near future, HDMI in, etc.
    - Streaming capabilities

Thanks in advance!