1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home cinema in a box: Budget £500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Car man sleeps, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Car man sleeps

Car man sleeps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a 'reasonably-priced' surround-sounds system to go with my PF9986, I'm thinking 'home cinema in a box'

Home Cinema Choice just did a test and recommends the Philips LX7500, which I can pick up for a bit less than £500 online, it includes a DVD recorder which is good. Has anyone got this and can comment?

Or what else would you recommend around this budget?

Car man

2. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    just go for seperates, u can get a reasonable dvd player, amp and speakers for #500- if you look around good enough.

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    pioneer 575 : £100
    denon 1705 : £200
    Tannoy Fx5.1 : £200

thats £500 for a seperates system and imo will out do all All in one's you compare it against

i wrote this in another thread. yes you will need interconnects but this will beat a home cinema in a box 10x over

4. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Plus no Philips!

5. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Or if you want an all in one, being that you posted in the all in one forum, buy the Denon 500 which leaves you £100 to blow on what ever you like.

6. Car man sleeps

Car man sleeps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the ideas!

Home Cinema Choice did say this Philips system was better than their 'old' favourite, the Denon, and I assume it's built to go with the Philips LCD TVs (though I'm probably wrong about that...)

Sounds like separates are the popular choice, though. Also, in their favour, if I want to plug in my Humax Freeview/HD (which I may) then am I right in thinking the all-in-one system won't be able to accommodate an extra input, whereas a stand-alone receiver will (anyone?)

Car man

7. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It depends on what home cinema system you buy and whether it channels pictures through it. The Denon has composite inputs, thereby products that have phono outputs can be connected here, there is also an optical input and a coaxial input. The standalone amps tend to have more inputs which you can use to feed through your other pieces of equipment.