1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Cinema Ignoramus Seeks Help!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by robers7, Sep 25, 2003.

1. robers7

robers7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - I'm a self-confessed home cinema ignroamus. But I do want to be able to enjoy by Philips DVDR and Sky+ to it's full potential, and so think I need to invest in some audio kit.

What I ultimately want is the best sound I can get for under £300, with booming bass, 5.1 surround. Preferably small speakers (except woofer-thingie) but with good quality. I've been looking at:

* Home Cinema packages - but they aren't appropriate because they typically include a DVD player and I've already got a DVD player...

* Home "Theatre" packages (such as some Sony packages) - but I'm not convinced they will provide the best value for money

* DIY packages - such as an AMP/Receiver and a Speaker Package

I'm guessing the DIY route is best. Despite knowing very little about the technology, I hunted the web based on my ideal price and came accross a cheap Pioneer amp (VSX-C100-S) for £140 and matching speakers (woofer and sats) for £140... within budget. Is this likely to be any good?

Also, if I do buy a separate AMP/Receiver and speaker pack, will I need to get cables? E.g. optical cable for SKY+/DVDR to Amp? And speaker cable? And what on earth is the difference between speaker cabling that makes the price so different? And will a better quality speaker cable really matter when I'm buying a budget system? And will I get DD5.1 from it all... and why is DD5.1 so good anyway? :confused: :confused:

You can see I am truly an ignoramus with lots of questions! :rolleyes:

Any advice would be most appreciated!

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi Robers7, welcome to the Forums. :smashin:

Basically i reckon you need to read the Amplifier, Speaker and Cable forums on this site. A few hours trolling through the many threads will answer nearly all your questions. Narrow down a choice, then come back to your thread for more. (Just avoid the subwoofer threads for now - you will go mad!!!! :p)

Good luck. :)

EDIT - oh, and try this website for a quick and easy choice of much of the equipment that is available out there right now:
    http://www.avland.co.uk/products.htm