Home cinema + Hifi setup for about £2000

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Gwisely, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Gwisely

Gwisely

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to put together a home cinema system that can also handle music quite well. I'm thinking about getting:

AV receiver - Arcam AVR250 or Denon 3805
    DVD/CD player - Arcam DV78
    Speakers - Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP

Any weakpoints in this system?
    Appreciate any feedback.

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    IMOH, the speakers are the weak link. While price is not the governing concern, I think you are spending too much on the source and amp to do the speakers justice.

There are some who like to spend more on the amp or source who will argue that speakers benefit from the better source. There are others who prefer to spend money on better speakers, and will argue that speakers have the most impact on the sound.

You will need to decide if you agree with either, or if you agree with both, perhaps choose a more balanced system.

PS Welcome to the forum.

3. jookster

jookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont u mean u r spending too much on the source and amp and so the speakers won't do them justice!?!?!

4. Gwisely

Gwisely

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, Think I'll just blow the budget and get some better speakers, maybe get some good quality stereo speakers and add the surround sound later?
    Any thoughts on good speakers for under £1000 total?

5. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes. IMHO, the amp and source justify better speakers. But there are some who believe that once the detail has been extracted, the speakers are of secondary importance.

£1000 on stereo speakers is, IMHO in this system, going too far the other way.

As a recommendation on speakers, you will have to decide for yourself. What appeals to me, might sound like fingernails on a chalkboard to you.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    At the Bristol show recently the PMC GB1 compact floorstanders made a great impression at £995 as did the standmounted Totem Dreamcatchers at the previous show.

In a recent review of reasonably priced stereo speakers in Hifi Choice they put the Triangle Antal ES at the top of the tree closely followed by the Spendor S3e so there's four possibles in total for you shortlist to demo

7. The Duke

The Duke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up a mint pair of Martin Logan Aerius i speakers on eBay for £830 in January.

Tim

8. Gwisely

Gwisely

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you again - you guys know your stuff.

Have had further thoughts and am going to demo the Arcam AVR 250 with the DV79 and now thinking harder about the speakers. Does anyone know if the Monitor Audio Radius ie R270 + R90s would be a good match? The other suggestion is the Kef eggs?

P.S thinking about £1000 max for complete surround system including front stereo speakers.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    May I suggest that you stop listening to whever made that suggestion.

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi
    You can get the castle compacts(five speakers and a sub) for just under a grand.Much better than the kef eggs.
    Cheers Gonzo.

11. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm about to say something that some people may find shocking here but I'd have a listen to the Rotel system as IMHO it is far superior to the Arcam for both movies and music! Apologies to any Arcam fans and everybody has their own preferences and opinions but I'll explain mine.

I demoed an Arcam DV79 connected to some Arcam FMJ (not sure of the model numbers) processor and amplifier with brand new M&K speakers (can't remember the model but they're about £800 each and are wall mountable "boxes"). I was told the speakers had not been fully run in yet but I was told elsewhere that M&K run the speakers in at the factory so who knows.

Anyway in my opinion the sound on movies was not much better than my Denon 1602 and DVD2800II system. It was warmer with a touch more detail but nowhere near what you'd expect for the money. For music it was pretty awful in all honesty and did not compare to my Rotel RA-01, RCD-02 and Quad 11L hifi system. The shop explained that the M&K's are designed for home cinema not music but who would pay £800 each for speakers like that.

I had earlier demoed a Rotel RSX-1056 (with a Denon 2900 DVD and Rotel RCD-02 CD player and B&W speakers - fronts were floorstanders and surrounds tiny bookshelf speakers) and this was far better for movies with a much wore crisps and "realistic" sound. For music it was miles ahead of the Arcam system but not much better than my hole Rotel hifi setup.

My Denon 2800 DVD player has since died and I've replaced it with a Rotel RDV-1060 and can't believe the difference it has made even with movies. I wouldn't have expected much difference as it's still going digitally (£20 coax) to my Denon 1602 amp but there is much more detail and precision even with movie soundtracks. Musically it's pretty good too with more detail, better timing and a bigger soundstage than my RCD-02 but I suspect not a match for say a Rotel RCD-1072.

Obviously it depends on your preferences, you may like to the Arcam sound (as plenty of people do). All, I'm suggesting is that you try the Rotel to see if you like it. IF you hunt around you should be able to get an RVD-1060 for around £500 (I got mine from Superfi but I don't think they haev any stock left). The RSX-1056 retails for £1200 (and is "only" 5 channel but you can always add an extra stereo amp later) but you should be able to pick it up for £1000 at the most.

12. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not try Quad's latest AV speakers? They seemed to do well when I was last there for a demo.