1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Cinema Help req'd

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ianjo, May 19, 2003.

1. Ianjo

Ianjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you can see I am a newbie here & despite reading many of the threads & purchasing various magazines, visiting shops both locally & in London where I work, I remain confused.

I have a 32" Toshiba ZD09 & Toshiba SD210E DVD + Sky & a Video (Aiwa 6 head Nicam - nothing special). I am keen on buying a speaker/subwoofer set up but my maximum budget is only £500 as 2 children prevent me from spending any more. My room is rectangular with the room being approx 20ft long by 10ft wide. The make up of the room means the TV etc is located in the middle of the length (i,e about 10ft in) with the seating directly opposite about 7 ft away.

My question is what sort of set up should I go for - I realise my budget isn't enormous but I believe I can still obtain a reasonable set up which will enhance my viewing/listening pleasure. I was advised to get the Yamaha HTIB45 package (I think it cleared the box from their shelves) but having looked into it further I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Does anyone have any advice they can impart to a thoroughly confused person who wishes to get started with Home Cinema.

Cheers & thanks in advance

Ian:confused:

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Ian could you be more specific about speaker size does it matter to you how big they are.
    The yamaha receivers are a very good start in home cinema i did own the yam htr-45 and it sounds great for a budget receiver and speaker package.If your not keen on the speakers(the weaker of the package)you could buy the receiver on its own for around£199 and if you could stretch your budget slightly and get the mission m70speaker package(4xm70 1x m71i centre 1xmission ms8 active sub)for £341 from empire direct, this would be a good sounding first av system imo.
    Gonzo.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Try hyperfi as they have cheaper deals on mission as do RS. The Yamaha is great starting place. for a sub/ sat package (small discrete speaker and large sub) try mission FS1/2 a Second hand receiver will save you money. And get you more bang per buck!!!!

4. Ianjo

Ianjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gonzo - no I'm not too bothered about speaker size although they cant be too inrusive purely from a space point of view.

I like the suggestion regarding the mission speakers from you & hornydragon as again these were ones i had considered but ended up getting a 'tad' lost over which to choose after a while!

Cheers guys:clap:

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Good luck matey try and get a demo should be easy in london Try Tottenham Court Road but dont buy the first system you hear best bet is ring them up and ask to listen to an amp receiver set up at £400, £600 and £1000. The reason i say to go so high is that £1000 in one dealer is £800 if you shop around and if that blows you away then save a bit more or buy in stages i.e. amp and front speakers then add the others, and a sub later.

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Hornydragon
    He will do that anyway upgraditis is a terrible disease that weve all got he wont be able to stop himself.:rotfl:

7. Ianjo

Ianjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice - I will do that. I must admit I hadn't thought about buying in stages so I may well consider doing this.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    A good amp and 2 nice fronts is better than cheap and nasty 5.1 a sub is nice but not essential unless fronts are small. bargains can be had so do lots of research and ask lots of questions!

9. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try and hunt down the mission cinema 6, i think you could get that for 200, spend about 100 on cables etc, and 200 will get you a digital amp either at richer sounds or classifieds[i got the denon 1802 from richer for 250, it doesn,t have ex, but does have dts pro logic 2 and dolby digital, i was on a small budget so i thought this amp was ok]

10. Ianjo

Ianjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hamtaro - when you say £100 or so on cables what sort do you mean? - I know I keep asking questions but you guys know what you're talking about.

I have been considering a Component Link between my TV & DVD but haven't as yet because I wasnt sure if it would make a massive difference. Any views?

Once again thanks for all our help.:clap:

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It might make a slight difference over a scart connected via RGB but the big advantage is that it would free up one of the RGB scart sockets on the back of the TV for something else as you can never have too many.

Both Sky Digiboxes and Tivo output in RGB and would perform better with their own dedicated scart socket on the TV

12. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are confused by home cinema then take a look at my site here which breaks down what you need to look for when buying a piece of equipment. It won't tell you what equipment you should buy (folks here can help with that and as others have said go and demo first) but it should aid you in the decision process.

Hope it helps :D

13. Ianjo

Ianjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian - I will have a read of this over the course of today - its just what someone like me needs!;) :clap:

14. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is why I wrote the site in the first place as so many people do not understand digital products and for the newbie there is nowhere to really go that tells them all the information.

15. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ianjo, when i mean cable i mean speaker cable , you will need 5 lenths all the same[ well i do]av cables[svideo etc, or scart] and a lead for a subwoofer. ive only just got into 5.1, and used pro logic right upto 2002.there are plenty more forum members more knowledge able on this subject than me.

16. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well now thats not really the case with the cables, the front 3 speakers should all have the same length cable but the rear 2 can be a different length, usually much longer of course and as long as the two rear are the same length as eachother and the 3 fronts are all the same length you should be fine. Now ideally in an ideal world where we all have unlimited budgets then yes why not make all 5 the same length but to buy decent speaker cable at perhaps £5-£10 per mono meter then that can get expensive.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Geesh i didn't know the cables had to be certain lengths, as long as they were good quaility and more or less the same length, i thought it wouldn't matter ? Oh well we live and learn.

Errrr LECSON DVD900, DENON AVR1602, MORDAUNT-SHORT MS302s X 4, MORDAUNT-SHORT MS304 CENTRE, GALE SUB

18. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi All
    Dont worry about the rear speaker cables just use qed micro around £1 a metre.I use two runs of 6metres micro for the rears
    and three 3 metre lengths of qed silver anniversary biwire(£8metre) for the front three.IT wont make any noticable differance to the sound and yes i did use cable talk at £3.50 metre for my rears and when i changed to micro there was no differance in sound plus micro is easier to get under the carpet.
    cheers Gonzo.

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If the cables were of unequal length the sound travelling down them would reach the loudspeakers at different times.

Someone with an engineering background could calculate how much quicker sound travelling down a six foot length would get to the speaker before the sound travelling down a four foot length.

It must be a zillionth of a second at least :D

20. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i only used 2pound per metre............for now.i needed 50 metres, so 2 pound was all i could afford,i got from richer sounds, its that gale thick stuff, really good sound.

21. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    for your sake dont spend silly money on rear speaker cable, save it for the fronts/centre and on some decent interconnects. do a search and make up your own mind but 69p 'HiFi' cable from Maplins or good old 1.5mm mains cable for B&Q will do the job very well in a 'budget' system

22. Ziggy

Ziggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have Gale (XL-189) cable from Richer Sounds, which cost me £20 for 30 metres, as far as i can tell it does a great job ?

The Digital Guide is a very clear and informative site, wish i had visited it previous to buying my system. Good one

While im here can anyone recomend a good wide screen TV as my old 29 inch Sony is about to be sacked. I so wish i could afford a plasma, but my budget is a bit shy of even a cheap one. Im not a lover of rear projection, so i was looking at a 36 inch Sony KD36XN200 ? I do like the Sony, but am yet to read any reviews about it and if my last set was anything to go on, Sony will be getting my business again, although any info on other makes would be helpfull.

Cheers all

23. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You will probably have more luck posting in the TV forum