Home Cinema Help Please

azzmania

Standard Member
Right in my new gaff we have a faceplate on the wall with various connections to feed speaker wire into so music can be played throughout the speakers in each room.

Does anyone know what type of plugs I need for the other ends of the speaker wire that will fit in the red/white sockets for the ps3 and Tv etc?

Have seen some 'Banana Plugs' but not sure?

Thanks

MarkTaylor

Can you post a picture of this faceplate so we can see what you are dealing with?

You are freely mixing terms like 'speaker cables' and what sounds like RCA line outputs so we need to get a better idea what you actually have there as it is unlikely you can connect the RCA output of a 360 to whatever this faceplate is if the other end is just a speaker in another room.

Far more likely the previous occupant had an amp capable of feeding several sets of speakers and the faceplate would connect to the additional speaker outputs on the amp.

azzmania

Standard Member
Can you post a picture of this faceplate so we can see what you are dealing with?

You are freely mixing terms like 'speaker cables' and what sounds like RCA line outputs so we need to get a better idea what you actually have there as it is unlikely you can connect the RCA output of a 360 to whatever this faceplate is if the other end is just a speaker in another room.

Far more likely the previous occupant had an amp capable of feeding several sets of speakers and the faceplate would connect to the additional speaker outputs on the amp.

Yes I think the amp set up was previously installed so I guess I will have to buy one (sorry I am a novice).

I will take a picture when I get home.

Would you advise getting a 7.1 amp as I have 2 speakers already on the wall (Via the faceplate) a 42 ins Toshiba 1080p LCD 2 hdmi, a PS3 and Sky HD?

Thanks for your help

MarkTaylor

Slow down :)

Let's figure out what you need first then talk about what to buy.

How many rooms are wired up for speakers in the house via this wall-plate?

How many speakers in each room and do you want to actually put speakers in those rooms?

If this turns into an amp selection thread after that I'll move it to the amp forum for you, but let's sort out the wiring first.

azzmania

Standard Member
Slow down :)

Let's figure out what you need first then talk about what to buy.

How many rooms are wired up for speakers in the house via this wall-plate?

How many speakers in each room and do you want to actually put speakers in those rooms?

If this turns into an amp selection thread after that I'll move it to the amp forum for you, but let's sort out the wiring first.

Ha I will.

Right I have speakers in: 2 in open plan lounge, 2 in bathroom, 2 in main bedroom and 2 in daughters bedroom, these are all wired through to the faceplate and are working as I tested them with an old hi fi.

The Lounge speakers are Wharfdale and the rest are white 'SKY' speakers.

Each room has its own volume control.

The faceplate has gold connectors for speaker wire and have red or black trim.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom