• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Home Cinema Help Please!

nickhe73

Standard Member
I am a total novice to Home Cinema but was looking to spend around £200-250 on a basic system for my Living Room.

I had narrowed it down to 5 systems:

Pioneer DCS-575
Panasonic SC-PT470
Sony DAV-DZ280
Samsung HT-Z220 or HT-TZ222r

I wondered if anyone had any advice on what would be the best one to use (as long as I can plug the Sky + box into it so I can get the benefits of the improved sound for watching sport etc)

I have a 46” Samsung TV and wondered if there was any benefit to getting the Samsung system over any of the others (ie integration)

My last option is just to go for speakers as I already have a Samsung DVD which upscales to 1080i. I notice the Onkyo HTX-22HD gets a good review and wondered if this would be a better option than the Cinema in a box options above (or another set for £200-250 again)

Appreciate any help I can get

Thanks

Broadz

Distinguished Member
My last option is just to go for speakers as I already have a Samsung DVD which upscales to 1080i. I notice the Onkyo HTX-22HD gets a good review and wondered if this would be a better option than the Cinema in a box options above (or another set for £200-250 again)

Obviously it would. As you are never going to use the DVD part of any of the home cinema systems that you have listed because you have a far better DVD player than any of them can offer. Therefore, why waste money on something which has an element in it that will never be used, but which you are paying for? Only consider an all-in-one home cinema system including DVD if you (a) don't already have a DVD player or (b) intend to replace your existing DVD player with the one that comes as part of the all-in-one.

nickhe73

Standard Member
After having a look around at lunchtime I definately agree with you. In which case can anyone recommend a speaker system for £200-£250. I thought these 3 seemed pretty good but would appreciate some advice

Onkyo HTX-22HD
Jamo A102HCS5
Tannoy SFX 5-1

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom