1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Cinema - help needed!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by electrify_dizz, Apr 26, 2003.

1. electrify_dizz

electrify_dizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I posted a similair message over in the speakers section - but i doubt everyone looks there, and I would appreciate the advice!!!

A few months ago I bought a Toshiba SD 220-E multi region DVD player. At the moment I have it set up through my Cambride Audio A5 stereo system. As you can guess, this is a temporary measure!!!

Basically, I am looking to spend around £500 with which I want a decent amp/receiver for surround sound, as well as 5 speakers (I will be looking to get a sub at some point, but I am going to be moving house, and dont want to get one until I know i have the space to justify it!!!)

I was hoping for some advice!! I am looking at getting the Eltax Liberty 5 speaker package, and a yamaha amp, however I am looking around at the moment, and was wondering what fellow users would advise!!!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    I suggest you get to alocal dealer explain your budget and demo then ask again
    PS Eltax are not great
    Marrantz 4300 or Denon 1603 amps and speakers by Mission M72 package maybe you reallly need to demo them!

3. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I agree you can't go far wrong with the marantz or the denon but also you must demo them and a few more and trust your own ears

4. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the yamaha nsp220 speaker package which I got for about £100 a month ago, and the yamaha htr-5540rds amp and that cost me £200. I seriously can not fault the performance of the two together. Just to let you know, I got the deal from robertsons on line in Leeds. Pretty good service there as well (only took about 3 days to arrive to me in London).

Good luck

5. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you can get them, anything by mission that richer sounds have , may help.as far as amps go they do have some bargains. its just been there at the right time.i bought a denon 1802, and although it was a cheapo im happy with it.

6. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    what about...

yamaha rxv430rds - £150 (apparently at hyperfi.co.uk although not on website)
    mission m71i fronts - £90
    mission m7ds rears - £125
    mission m7ci centre - £75

Thats £440 leaving you enough for P&P annnd a pair of mission stancette speaker stands for £50 if you need 'em!

Well, it's what I intend to buy within the next few weeks!! Well, maybe the m72i's for the fronts for an extra £20 instead of the m71i's...

hope that's any good to you!

7. electrify_dizz

electrify_dizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice.

I've been looking around, and have found a Rotel RSP 966. I was wondering if any of you are familiar with it, and if so what the quality of it is like.

With regards to the speakers, Im personally a huge fan of floor standing at the front. This is the main reason I was looking at the Eltax Liberty's. However, if they will be out performed by normal speakers I will look into those!!

But any info on the Rotel would be appreciated!

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    The Rotel RSP966 you meantion is only a processor (IIRC) so you would also need power amps to go with it.

In general, budget floorstanding speakers are always outperformed by similar priced stand mount speakers.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A mate has the Rotel 966. It's pretty awful, lots of noise decoding Pro-Logic, hiss in Dolby Digital, hums in DTS. Because of the background noise, it masks fine detail in the sound.

It's also a very big unit. He upgraded to a Denon AVD-2000, and it sounds ALOT better. No noise, no hum. I will never touch any Rotel pre-amp.

10. Field

Field

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a fairly budget home cinema system around 2-3 years ago and use the Mission m73 floorstanders as the front speakers. Have to say that for the money (probably around £150 these days?) they are truly superb for home cinema purposes, the relatively large cabinet allowing excellent bass for a reasonably priced speaker, especially when placed near a rear wall. Not quite as accomplished on the hi-fi front but still very acceptable for the money.

So if you're set on floorstanders for the fronts, as I was, then I would give them a try.

11. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi there don't know what happend to my post but send me a PM and I may have something for you!

12. electrify_dizz

electrify_dizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will throw the Rotel out the window then!!!

Thanks again guys!!! I intend to go into either Reading or Basingstoke on Friday, so I will build up a short list then, and come back asking again!!!

13. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yamaha 430 - £150 + mission 77se £399 if you can stretch the extra 50 for the floor standing fronts or
    yamaha 430 + mission m72 £199 with cash left for connects,cables or sub all from Hyperfi.

14. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Robin I have sent you another PM in response to yours

Regards Graham

15. electrify_dizz

electrify_dizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm setting up a demo with richer sounds to have a look in about a fortnight. But before I do, the denon and marantz mentioned earlier - are they any good for music?

Im asking as I recon I could just about scrape together £600, so I may be able to spend a bit more if I get better music output as well!!

16. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Both are ok, but neither is as good as your Cambridge Audio A5 (unfortunately)

17. electrify_dizz

electrify_dizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats a pain in the butt. That will definately be one feature I will be looking for, I dont really want to have two systems in my room (as im a student, this is all going in my bed room at uni!!)

18. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    'eltax are not great'
    I disagree, they may make some cheap speakers but they also make some excellent ones. I have a set of Linear Response floor standers and think they are great. Trust your own ears not some one else.:lesson:
    Mylo

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    If you go fo an amp with preouts you can use you A5 for the front pair and connect the CD plyer and other 2 channel sources dierct.
    For stereo perfomance of the A5 you need to look at higher end kit
    A yamaha DSP 800 i think might be worth a look. £250 online

20. electrify_dizz

electrify_dizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Right, I went into Richer Sounds today. They pointed me towards the Sony STRDB780 and the Marantz SR5300 amps, and then the Eltax Liberty series speakers. They didnt have any missions in at all which is a bit disappointing.

I have set up a test date for next week for it all. Both amps are 299, and the speakers are £250.

Does anyone know much about these for a set up?

21. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You Can not go far wrong with the Marantz as far as AV amps go in stereo I love mine not sure about the speakers, try and take your amp with you as a comparison for stereo replay (use source direct on the Marantz) after all it is you that has to live with the system. If you feel the Cambridge is better I would save yourself some money and go for a 4300 and follow hornydragon's suggestion of running the front speakers from this. Use the extra money for better speakers.