Home cinema help needed!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by amills2005smart, Mar 23, 2006.

1. amills2005smart

amills2005smart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi guys and girls my AV kit currently stands as

Toshiba 46wm42p 46" HDMI DLP TV
    Musical Fidelity Elektra 24bit cd player
    Cambridge Audio DV59 Progressive Scan DVD
    Marantz SR4400 Surround Amp
    Mordaunt Short 304 centre speaker
    Mission M70's surround rears (i think!)
    Mission 733 Fronts
    Mordaunt Short 308 Subwoofer.

Now here is where the problems begin. I am more than happy with my CD player but wonder would i benefit from selling that and buying an Arcam maybe DV79 to replace my dvd player also, as i heard it does a pretty good job of both, tried the denon 1920 and wasnt that impressed.

Next up is my amp, i have been looking at replacing it with a Yamaha DSP 757, is this a worthwhile upgrade? If not what you recommend around the £500 mark?

Also i would like to change my speakers but am yet to be convinced by satelites so what can be recommended for about the £500 also, been considering keeping the centre and sub and getting 2 pairs of Mordaunt short 902 or 902i's, or maybe one pair plus some 904 floorstanders!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. happyhomer

happyhomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I'd recommend the floorstanders at the front if you've got the space, particularly as it appears that musical performance is important to you. I upgraded from 902's to 906's and all I could say, once I'd picked myself up the floor was "Wow!". Also, if you can accommodate it, I'd suggest replacing the 304 with the 905 to give you a uniform soundstage-my 304 was fine when used with 902's but really didn't match the 906's, whereas the 905 is spot-on.

3. amills2005smart

amills2005smart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Yeah i was thinking if i stick with Mordaunt Short i would upgrade to the larger centre, providing it will fit in my stand!

Any one else got any thoughts on this mini dilema????:lease:

4. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Happyhomer.

I have the larger 908 floorstander paired with the 905 and the sound integration is seamless along the front channels.

Depending on your budget(and space) I would suggest you look at the 906, 905,902 combination or if your budget allows look at the 908, 905, 902 combo. An alternative to the 902 for surround purposes is the 903 which is a Bi-pole surround speaker that works rather nicely in HT mode.

5. amills2005smart

amills2005smart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Yeah potentially space might be a problem as one floorstander is currently behind the speaker on the tv as there is no where else for it to go! Are the 904's slimmer or are they just shorter than the 906's and 908's?

Any thoughts on the amp or dvd player change?

6. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    904s, 906s, 902s and 908s are the same width (165mm).

Don't bother with the new "i" range as it is the same as the old series but more expensive.

Good prices on peter tyson or a1-sound for MS (if you phone or visit there'll be room for negotiotion with Tim at A1 Sound).

906s (or 908) at front, 905c and rears either 902 or 903. And a Ms909 sub or the BK XLS200 or the BK Monolith :D The amp is your call (I use a Marantz SR5400).

7. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    If you are looking to possible upgrade to Arcam dv79 you may want to look at either the Pioneer 868 or Denon 3910 and also get the 2ch upgrade kits (clocks, etc) these will normally sound better and cost about the same plus they have ilink which is a lot better for digital transfer than optical plus saves you on a load of cables (for DVD Audio/SACD anologue). Also they can play SACD. The Pioneer can output 576i so in the future if you want you can feed that to an external scaler. As with the Arcam they have HDMI out which is a big improvement over Scart and in most cases component.

Next up your amp based on your speaker spec and your budget of £500 I woul dlook to compliment the Pioneer with 2014i musically you can beat it with a Marantz/arcam (normally at more cost) amp but because of the ilink the sacd, dvd audio and dolby digital can go through one cable and sound very good. Can be bright and forward sounding but should be very good for the kit you already have. Next if you have the player 2 channel upgrade (mind you, you have the musical fidelity player for 2-channel so you may not even need it) will get a good sound into the Pioneer. Now like most AV amps they are not always better than dedicated stereo amps but what you can do also with the Pioneer is bi-amp the front channels (using the 2 surround back channels) leaving you with 5.1 and bi-amped fronts. This will tighten up your bass and sound even better. Next if you want to upgrade at a later date you can use the amp as a preamp and feed the front or any other channels to mono power amps or even an integrated stereo amp.

Hope this helps

8. amills2005smart

amills2005smart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Sounds good may check that out, any other thoughts people?

Has anyone got the Yamaha DSP757?

Been offered £120 for my amp, bearing in mind its 12 months old, i dont think thats too bad.

9. amills2005smart

amills2005smart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Just seen a Pioneer VSX-AX5i-S at around £400, this looks like a good piece of kit!:)

10. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yep it is I have one :thumbsup: like I said the ilink is a big consideration not just for price (saving you on cables) but sound too!!

11. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The MS904 is only shorter than the 906 and 908, the width remains the same at 165mm(which incidently is the same as the 902)

The major differences are in their height(and number of drivers, etc). The 904 is 800mm, the 906 is 850mm and the 908 is 950mm.

12. amills2005smart

amills2005smart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Would you say Deano this is a much better amp then the Yamaha 757, i mean i knows more expensive but just wondered if the technology in the Yammy or similar new amps would be worth it?

Sorry if these seem daft to all you more knowledgable people, i just dont want to buy something and be disappointed with it.

Thanks

13. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I haven't tested the Yamaha 757 but for what it has more e.g. dolby headphones, prologic IIx (which the latest ax5 I think has anyway) I don't think it has any real new technology like, hdmi, ipod integration, etc. It lacks ilink which if you get the DVD player I mentioned before will free you from a cable spagetti junction and sound better than optical or the others, etc. The lip sync audio delay can come in handy if you were using an external scaler but for the kit you will use will not be a problem as to get round this you can set your speakers (especially centre) to futher away than they are and that helps if you have any issues (I haven't with the aX5 setup). You have to start looking at the Yamaha 2600/4600 pioneer ax4, Denon 3806, 4xxx, etc before you start jumping into a terroritory that is going to beat the Pioneer AX5 on features. Of course the cost goes a lot over £500 then.

14. amills2005smart

amills2005smart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I thought the 757se had hdmi input. Is this much of a benefit anyway and is it an improvement over just going from dvd to tv?

Considering this Pioneer now, anyone got any thoughts on it?

I looked at the denons but they seem a bit pricey and i know you pay for what you get but moneys a bit tight.

15. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    If your TV has more than one HDMI input then it should not be worth it as the TV will have it's own scaler/processor built in that will be at least as comparable as an AV amp. The reason why I say more than one is if you buy skyHD, etc. If you really want good scaling then you start talking an external scaler. What more do you want just do a general google search for th AX5. The price is right and for the £500 budget you won't get any more revolutionary technology that you need. The two things that will really improve your AV pleasure is the HDMI and ilink. If you go AX5i and 868ai you have a good combo and the price will be right (loads can be had on eBay, etc).

16. amills2005smart

amills2005smart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Tv has just the one hdmi input, but picture via component is almost as good via current dvd player as it is via hdmi with a denon 1920 which i tested over xmas. Is the 868 a decent player then?

Whats the i link all about never really heard of it and is it a benefit to me?

17. amills2005smart

amills2005smart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Anyone else got any thought on any of this. By the way i didnt get that Pioneer Amp everyone:mad:

So still on look out for a decent upgrade from Marantz 4400.

Thanks