Home cinema..Garage coversion is it worth it..Help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by martian1, Aug 23, 2004.

1. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    I have had to live without my Home theatre for over 6 months now and missing it like hell. Moved house wife hated :nono: my telly [43"Hitachi rp] in our open plan house, I had a seperate room before so we could have 2 tellies without disturbing each other. So...my tv has gone :( Speakers sub packed away.
    My only chance of having a system again is a garage conversion which she isn't bothered about :rolleyes: Here is the problems the finished room will measure approx 7.5ft x 14ft when finished this is taking into account soundproofing stud walls and a false wall with door seperating utility room.

"Sounproofing" the house is a linked detached so the garage is joined to neighbours front room ,dining room [although i know they very rarely use it ]
    This is my main concern... but i have found that the garage has a 6" cavity between the garage and their house. So it's only linked by bricks at front and back of house, in the middle along its length is fresh air...IS this a good sign :confused: or would sound issues still be a major problem?
    I really don't want to go on any further with this dream unless the sound issue can be overcome. If so i can get a projector with a 7ft screen :rolleyes:

Help please anyone i hate watching movies on a 4:3 29" telly without cinema sound :suicide:

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The air-gap between the garage and your neighbours should help reduce the sound transmission between the two - most stuff I've read about soundproofing recommends te "room within a room" approach - the airgap should perform nicely. As an experiment you could rig up the speakers and sub and give it a whirl, asking your neighbours if you can have a listen from the adjoining rooms - without the extra sound absorbing material in your garage it won't be a direct comparison, but it should give you some idea. Your proposed room size is about the same size as mine (and quite a few others owned by members here)..... you'll fit in a 6.5 - 7ft screen and be thrilled with the result. Try out the sound issue and then go for it !

Sean G.

3. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Thanks theritz encouraging :clap: i am on speaking terms with new neighbour but he seems a bit standoffish.. hate to get off on the wrong foot. until i get to know him a bit better rather leave it for now, its a good idea before getting to involved thought :rolleyes:
    On the + side the guy who had house before me had started converting garage anyway. He has removed garage door & put in a uvpc window and door [probably a good idea as it could act as a fire door escape route, i think building regs need 2 doors for this reason]. Anyway he had also started putting a plasterboard wall in [not much kop] just using a adhesive material. The ceiling is plasterboarded out [again not much kop] some power sockets added etc, but i will need to create a wall [making a small utility room at back of garage] as washer is in the garage.
    There is some plumbing to re-route and guttering to move outside and a gas meter to box in otherwise ..neighbour willing i will make a start :D

I have told my wife about viewing a projector in the morning [booked at severnoaks ] expected the usual :lesson: but got both :rolleyes: & :boring: instead well its a start guys... :smashin:

4. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

The finished size for your room is about the same as the one i'm having built at the moment (to extend the house) and it's 14'4" by 7'3" so about the same

I've got doors at either end which are a pain, but they won't be used much so not too much of a problem.

Things to watch out for

1. Most sofas will be too wide - so shop carefully, or live with 2 single seats
    2. Most electric/manual screens that are 7ft wide have casings that are over 7ft wide so might not fit (I might go for a fixed screen)
    3. 14ft/6ft screen is a long throw if you want the projector at the back of the room
    4. Can all the kit go somewhere (luckily I have a coal cellar that'll fit the lot)

Phil

5. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    I think our girlfriends were separated at birth.

6. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Badger i would love a fixed screen but unless i hang it over uvpc door & window i am stuck. I think i will need use of door or atleast be able to use if need be, i was thinking of a manual pull down screen. I have had a look at door etc and the screen casing may need to go into roof cavity or i won't be able to use door [i'tll catch door..hell this could be a problem!]. The window and door has replaced garage door, if i were to look into garage from road outside it'll look awful with a fixed screen stuck over it!
    I also need to create a wall to seperate utillity room from garage this will need a door to enter new HC room so i cannot put a fixed screen this end either.. :(
    I wish i was a bit more DIY inclined :rolleyes:
    Anyway i have started clearing garage i still need to get rid of a pine wardrobe [to big for our bedroom] and a gas cooker. Then its a nice shed for bikes and other gunk. I have managed to view 3 projectors and i am so pleased i did, i would have been gutted buying the Hitachi pj-tx10 [panel structure.. :( ] i am pleased i don't seem to suffer rainbows with DLP models. I think its either the Themescene h56 [not seen yet] or the Sony VPLHS 20 what a fantastic picture great improvement on hitachi.
    I will post pictures when project well under way.

7. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure if it's possible but i'll need to mount the fixed screen like a "picture" - so put 2 nails up for it to hang on (at eiher end of the frame so it'll be in the right position) and just take it down when I need too

I'll know more when the projector goes in - The HS20 is currently the favorite for me, although i'm waiting to see whats being shown at CEDIA as it's only a few weeks and the Kitchen renovation is a much higher priority at the moment - I've had to discount he h56 as I want/need both DVI and component inputs, it's also more expensive :)

I'll post some pics once the building work is done

Phil

8. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    nice one :smashin:

9. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Here is my garage before work begins, as you can see i have quite a lot of pipes and gas meter to box in. I have a plumber coming to hopefully sort a radiator and move waste for washing m/c etc. It has power but needs more so its an electrician next, then guttering needs moving outside. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

10. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Martian 1

I carried out a similar conversion, just a thought will building control allow a gas meter to be housed within a living area. I had to move the gas meter from within the garage to just outside the front door of the house.

Also if you are going to ceiling mount the projector with a 7 foot screen, I would suggest you calculate the height that the screen will be mounted It may interfere with your speakers unless you are prepared to use keystone correction on the projector.

Foghorn

11. Brimstone

Brimstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Martian,

Big job ahead by the looks of it. But could be worth the effort if you get your own AV room :D

The guttering inside a garage isn't something i've seen before.

You mention that the new front with PVC door is only going to be used as an emergency exit (you also said you may need to use it at other times) - doesn't really matter if you cover it with a screen for general use then. If its locked and unused except in emergencies, its not going to be a problem (as long as its easily thrown aside if the situation required it). If its retractable (manual or auto), then if you really need to use the door - its not a problem, as long as its not often.

As for the view from outside through the window - once its a habitable room with covered walls and floor coverings, etc - you'll want curtains or similiar on the window anyway, particularly if you're going to use a projector (help the darkness levels up and keep streetlight glare out).

At the end of the day - only you know how much you want or need to use that PVC door, and whats more important to you, the screen or the door access.

Unfortunately with doors at both ends, somethings got to give (unless you can find a way to get the screen right out of the way of the door).
    If it can be recessed into ceiling plasterboard and that helps - all the better.

Its does looks a lot of work (gas box, drains, pipes, and a utility room built in) but im sure you'll get there. And then we'll hear just how much you're enjoying it
    :smashin:

Good luck, Mark.
    :thumbsup:

12. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Thanks for the imput guys :smashin: regarding building regulations etc [gas meter] i will not be contacting council as making the room a permanent living area getting planning permission etc would make the job unacceptably expensive. I could not afford it for one thing never mind all the hastle , the room will not be used a great deal and if i had any major complaints simply removing carpet and re-installing garage door would return it to its "INTENDED" use. Back unfortunately to a waste of space [cannot get car in anyway !] i am going to make access available to gas board and any gas cut off valves will still be accesable, if it had to be moved it would have to be re-routed into cuboard under stairs :eek: expense ! Another thing to consider is re-sale issues, some people might prefer the garage anyway this is bugging me :( i will ask plumber about meter. Anyone had these problems as well?
    I am taking existing ceiling down [bit of a mess] and i am undecided about type of screen, permanant would be nice but maybe not practical if its retractable it will have to be sunk into ceiling to allow for uvpc door. The guttering is a strange one don't know why but the last owner had it done like this by the looks of it :rolleyes:
    I have mentioned doing the garage out to next door neighbour, she said "why not" problem is its the other side that garage is party too.
    Before things go any further i need to get rid of furniture in garage [some of it too good to chuck...selling it nightmare!] i need a shed buying for bikes etc then when i have a empty space or begin work more photos..might be a while :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :D

13. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    I would have thought you would be okay just boxing the gas meter in, so long as whoever reads the meter can get to it.

Mine is in the cellar which has two rooms, a large and small one. I have had it moved to the small room but just because i didnt want to box it in.
    I imagine the gas meter would become more of an issue if you tried to sell the house and marketed the garage as a useable room as opposed to a garage.

It would be a nightmare getting it rerouted as it would involve a lot of digging etc. I have recently tried to go through the pains of getting my incoming electricity moved from the large room in the cellar and the amount of regulations now is amazing, i just gave up in the end and have decided to box it in once the cellar is tanked.

14. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Started clearing garage , shed coming 2 weeks. Getting a plumber is a nightmare.
    Anyway after clearing garage ceiling to come down and see what we got to work with. Projector and screen on hold till after xmass [the bosses orders] she needed a new 3 piece suite, dining table... :lesson: :eek:
    Hopefully after this complete waste of money :rolleyes: i can treat myself.
    Post photos if anything gets moving.

15. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Movement at last! Plumbers hard to find. I now have a junk shed and ready to plumb in garage. Sorry for the delay but xmass approaching and this project is on the back burner [The wifes orders!! :lesson: :mad: ] . Anyway if the plumber turns up its the roof down and wiring next :rolleyes: .

Attached Files:

16. gaz

gaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi just joined hope i'm welcome reading this subject reminded of me severel months ago when i had the hairbrained idea of converting my garage in to a home cinema i to had doubts about the outcome but wow ive only watched 2 films in the house in last three months the garage measured approx 16' x 7' but ive got seating for 7 in there hehehehe.............
    the first image is how it looks now and the second is how it looked b4 i changhed the seating
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. gaz

gaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ps.......................... don't laugh to much at the projector we've all got to start somwhere heheheheh..........

18. flamingoboo

flamingoboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That must be a pretty awesome sytem that requires seatbelts.

19. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i love threads like this, good luck with your project (and keeping the waf happy)!

20. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its that new HC in a van system!! :rotfl:

21. gaz

gaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you bet it is, those base shakers are pretty wild lol :laugh:
    yep the seats are from an old mini bus but what i'm trying to point out you can get seating fo seven in a 7' space and still be comfy
    and the seat belts are a great way of stopping the kids getting up part way through a film though i will be removing them shortly

22. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Update plumber done [well almost] funny how cost can start to run away on something that seems so simple.
    Problems: Two pipes in garage 1 is for drainage for roof [damn] to put this right it means a roof strip and modification. Other pipe is downpipe from main roof this is now replaced but again to remove it completely will require a roof repair atleast. Its leaking as well [DOH... :rolleyes: ] plumber managed to modify roof drainage pipe [see pic grey pipe]. Also before drilling from house passage into garage existing radiator had to come off, guess what its knackered and has to be replaced [ leaking for yrs]. On a good note i have heating in place for garage :clap: once roof repaired [not sure what to do!] nogging wall built to hide pipes wiring etc. Money spent so far £600 not to bad :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

23. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Moved on a little bit, 1st stud wall up :clap: luckily got the help of a excellent joiner to assist :rotfl: very educational i told the missus :D
    Anyway got to start a partition wall with a door next :eek: wish me luck i will need it :rolleyes: photos of my 2 days graft.. :blush:

Attached Files:

24. Jamiroquai78

Jamiroquai78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Nice studwork Martian :thumbsup:

The bit you are doing now was for me the most monotonous, get through this to the plasterboarding and suddenly the room goes from nothing to everything :smashin:

Its a great feeling seeing it with walls for the first time:D

Do you have any new pikkies?

Jam

25. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Thanks jam nice to see yours nearly finished :clap: i havn't got anything new to photo at the moment pretty much ground to a halt although a friend has offered to help over xmas so hopefully both of us can complete most of the studding [need a new partition wall with door :eek:] anyway hope you get in for santa :D

26. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Ok getting really cheesed off now!...progress very slow and with problems.

Firstly garage roof needs re-doing :mad: water getting in :eek:
    Had problems with door..I didn't put a timber step in so although door fit was fine when i came to hang it it jammed on concrete floor :mad: to rather then get another door i had to re-do it to clear floor.... :blush:
    Now finishing studding..worse part trying to clear all cables and pipes as much as possible then box in metre... :rolleyes:
    Wish i was a joiner :D
    I might have a bit of luck with soundproofing possibly getting a lot of the stuff free although when is another thing.
    Just about threw the towel in with this...come on guys keep me going :smashin:

Attached Files:

27. digisocialist

digisocialist
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Keep it up man...believe me these things take time but it will be worth it. You can make relatively quick progress on some things.. now you have the stud up, filling and plasterboarding should be quicker. It is always those small fiddly jobs that take forever... I spent half a day cutting 2cm from a water pipe I no longer needed but access to it was really awkward... it had to go because it was obstructing the placement of some boarding to finish a wall.... nightmare... been there but had to persavere.

Jam is right...this bit is a pain but keep at it and don't pressure yourself. Just a bit at a time. You have a lot more stud work than I had and mine took ages.... top job :smashin: .

Tip: Be sure to give yourself clean cable runs, if possible so they can be removed when in situ, if not no worries but make sure you have everything possible. I spent ages researching and this came up time and time again...I made sure I cabled in what I thought I needed and now wish I'd have put more in!! Typicall. So, if possible, at this stage, make sure all your cables are run in properly before you close up access to the wall spaces.

Keep it up man. :)

28. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Thanks digi... :smashin: What cable do you wish you had added ? I am thinking of running av leads and speaker cables along bottom of stud wall [drilling a 30mm hole through all the verticals ] this will be hidden behind skirting board. I can remove skirting if needed to get at them. What do you think!

29. digisocialist

digisocialist
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK... I completely missed the DVI/HDMI boat and only put Component in..though I'm sure this will suffice for now. I also wish I'd have put in 'branded' speaker cable (instead of power cable)... when I ran my speaker cable in I was considering a very small scale project on a very small budget.. about £500...but over the months the forums got the better of me and I have spent 3.6K on AV kit alone, so I'm concerned I won't be giving my kit justice now with just mains cable. I also wish I'd have cabled things in a manner that was easily replaceable..but basically all my stuff is in for good and would require major work to sort out. I didn't really know what sub woofer cable I needed either so now that my carpet is down I'm having to lay one around the room..... Oh and finally, my installed telephone extension cable does not work :( I bought an ultra thin one and it must have got damaged behind the skirting board or something...so my plans to have everything cabled properly and invisble have not really worked out..... my saving grace however is that I have a wireless router so can get a wireless connection and do without the telephone cable...I'm also getting a really thing sub cable Quenex 3 I think it is, so should be able to hide that well....

My advice is to think of everything...I thought I had! Oh finally, I rushed some jobs because they had to be done when I had spare DIY helpers available to me..and in the buzz of laying Component and S-Video cables, I forgot to install a spur off the power socket in my ceiling for the Projector power supply. It now means I'm going to have to rip a floorboard up in the kitchen to install it next weekend and this has the knock on affect of me having to sand the entire kitchen floor to keep the wife happy...as the replacement floorboard will be a different colour to the rest!

Be warned!!!

We should start a thread called 'Calamaty Cinema Builds'...

30. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    I am in a bit of a rush as well, i get help off a good friend when he has the time so i have to make the most of it.
    Power cable wise i will be getting a electrician out soon to install 3 extra power sockets 1 for the projector..what do you mean by a spur :blush: he will hopefully sort lighting as well.
    My hurry is due to projector being held for me by retailer [since Dec :eek: ] i didn't want to get it and leave it sitting in its box..looks like it will anyway.
    My next job is boxing metre in ...should be fun.