Home cinema garage conversion window question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mouldy15, Aug 5, 2018.

1. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Hi there I'm very shortly going to have my 18ft x 9.5ft garage converted in to a home cinema room, where the garage door is on the front I was going to put a window in (part bricked up part window.!
    Now I'm currently thinking of going down the projector route and fixing up a 90inch projection screen. With a remote control...... Where the window would be...... However I'm thinking now wether not to put a window in and if I ever moved I would put a window in.....the question is do I legally have to put a window in.? There's 1 door leading to the garage from inside the house from the hallway by the way.!
    If I can legally put no window in does anyone else have any pics where they have done a similar thing ?

2. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,976
    I think if its classed as a habitable room then you need a fire escape, so yes you would need a window (but I might be wrong).
    Why don't you want one?
    I have a window in my garage conversion and have blackout blinds and the screen come down in front of the window too, making it even darker.
    You may not need a remote control as most screens have a trigger on them that you can wire up to your projector (if it has one too) that will drop and raise the screen when the pj is switched on/off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have a 'half garage' and my projector goes into that.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  3. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,976
    Bit of advice, make sure you wire it all up prior to the plasterboards going up and make sure you wire it for 4x Atmos speakers, even if you don't have them.
    I pre-wired mine for 2x Atmos and wish I had done it for 4 now, even though I only have 2 running. Its always best to future proof it.

4. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I will be wiring it up before plasterboards go in !
    I just thought that it'd save putting one in as obviously light is a projectors enemy and no outside light I thought would be better.... I spose it's sensible to put a window in for fire risk purposes ! Thanks for the pics by the way, I intend to put my screen where the garage door is and probably now next to the window and blackout blinds .... My other thought too was that I'd have to put air conditioning in too if I didn't put windows in.... Thanks for the help guys much appreciated.

5. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,976
    Mine is almost a bat cave, but having a white ceiling stops it from being that.
    We also use ours as a chill out room too, so we wanted it discrete as a cinema room.
    To be honest, we probably use it more as a cinema room than a den though, but the OH still wont allow a dark ceiling.

My photo above I had to leave the blind open so I could photograph the room, and the door was open into the room too (I was stood in the doorway), so not a true reflection on how it looks in use.

6. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Looks great mate anyway thanks for sharing, I'll be putting a window in and using black out blinds ! I'll probably get a trigger cable to operate the screen up and down too . It's going to be my first projector too so I've been looking at projectors a lot recently .... It's a minefield to say the least lol

7. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,976
    It comes down to what you want to spend.
    If you want to future proof it where it can play 4K then the Epson 9300/7300 are great options and have some fantastic offers on at the moment. I have the 9300.
    My screen fits between the joists and is 'in-ceiling' mounted, making it look nice and tidy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  8. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Looks great mate, I'll be either going down the JVC 5900 line I think or pushing it to the Sony 260 I think !
    Thanks for sharing the pics much appreciated