Home cinema/games room help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by JohnnyWalker, Feb 11, 2009.

1. JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Dont know if this is the right sub-forum, if not please move my post elsewhere.

I´m in the process of building my house and now is the time to talk to someone here in Portugal (Funchal) about my basement and what i want to do wiht it. But before that, i wanted your opinion on a number of things.

I atached a file so you can see the shape of the basement along with the ideas i have for it.
    The room is about 8.5 m x 6.5.
    My main concern is the home cinema area, but i would also like to a have a pool table and a cards table (Bridge ;).

My questions are:

1. What is the best place to have the home cinema area considering the room size and shape?
    2. What kind of floor is better (wood, carpet,etc)?
    3. What kind of isolation treatment (walls, ceiling)?
    4. What kind of ligthing?
    5. What about cabling?
    6. What other things should i worry and be carefull with?

As you can see, my questions are pretty vague but i wanted opinions from someone, even before i talk with the instalation experts.
    Any advice is greatly apreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Amioa

Amioa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    hello

Personally for me, the cinema part should be laid out in the middle of an available wall so the speakers can be positioned evenly away from walls, i just prefer the sound that is produced when the distance is roughly even
    Floor i would carpet, or at least have a rug around the speakers to help reduce the reflections from the floors
    isolation depends on what you want to achieve, double stud walls with 2 layers of acoustic plasterboard should be the very minimum, look at using materials such as GreenGlue, Acoustiblok, Damping sheets and sealers for the wall and ceiling.

Cabling I will leave to people who know, lighting is a personal choice so I will stay out of that too!

In Portugal, I suggest contacting Som e Acustica - Produtos, Projectos, Obras e Ensaios Acusticos - Home

3. JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply